CA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» J10 cui bap
The best Fiction and Nonfiction books you have read and why? EmptyTue May 01, 2012 7:28 am by Mrblack0301

» F35
The best Fiction and Nonfiction books you have read and why? EmptyTue May 01, 2012 7:21 am by Mrblack0301

» Williams Sonoma - Up to 30% Off Entire Order
The best Fiction and Nonfiction books you have read and why? EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 am by kichiki

» New Balance 1870 Women’s Walking Shoes
The best Fiction and Nonfiction books you have read and why? EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 am by kichiki

» Crossover 2-Button Side Vent Plain Front Suit
The best Fiction and Nonfiction books you have read and why? EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:07 am by kichiki

» The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
The best Fiction and Nonfiction books you have read and why? EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:00 am by kichiki

» The Universe: The Mega Collection on Blu-ray
The best Fiction and Nonfiction books you have read and why? EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:00 am by kichiki

» Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
The best Fiction and Nonfiction books you have read and why? EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 4:59 am by kichiki

» Chessmaster Challenge for PC
The best Fiction and Nonfiction books you have read and why? EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 3:05 am by kichiki

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

The best Fiction and Nonfiction books you have read and why?

+5
datrain711
cpschult
RCBooba
drago
Dr. Cox
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The best Fiction and Nonfiction books you have read and why? Empty The best Fiction and Nonfiction books you have read and why?

Post by Dr. Cox Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:16 am

Make it something good, not Comic Books or anything that I could read in 15 minutes.
Dr. Cox
Dr. Cox
Resident Malcontent

Back to top Go down

The best Fiction and Nonfiction books you have read and why? Empty Re: The best Fiction and Nonfiction books you have read and why?

Post by drago Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:22 am

Fiction: Catcher in the Rye, Easily my favorite book. I don't think there could ever be a better surprise ending, IMO.

Non-Fiction: Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Booba loaned that one to me, and to be honest, i haven't finished it. The detail in that book was outstanding, i never knew a tenth of that stuff about Hitler and his SS officers.
drago
drago
Admin

http://www.cheeseathletics.com

Back to top Go down

The best Fiction and Nonfiction books you have read and why? Empty Re: The best Fiction and Nonfiction books you have read and why?

Post by Dr. Cox Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:39 am

Dont tell me anything about The Catcher and the Rye I am reading it now and so far I think its ok.
Dr. Cox
Dr. Cox
Resident Malcontent

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:46 am

Dr. Cox wrote:Dont tell me anything about The Catcher and the Rye I am reading it now and so far I think its ok.

It's booba's favorite book as well. He's actually quite a book nerd, it's what happens when you don't have any friends as a kid. Laughing

I can't believe you haven't read it yet.
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RCBooba Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:04 am

Since Drago stole Catcher in the Rye....

Classic Fiction: Paradise Lost
Contemporary Fiction: Life of Pi/Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay
Non-Fiction (Historical): The Consequences of the Peace
Non-Fiction (Socio-economic): Souls of Black Folk
Non-Fiction: Places In Between

And for the record, some of the best literature written in the past 30 years has been in comic book format (Watchmen, Sandman, etc.)
RCBooba
RCBooba
Tormented Sole

Back to top Go down

Post by RCBooba Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:13 am

I forgot to add any and all Edgar Allan Poe
RCBooba
RCBooba
Tormented Sole

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:24 am

As fiction goes, now i am not a literary buff, but i really liked Perks of being a Wallflower.

Zidron actually described some things that I didn't notice the first time i read it. The book is based on letters a kid writes to the reader, so the entire book is letters. However, (this is what zidron told me that i found to be true) the writing in the letters got progressively better as the book went on and the child was going farther in high school.

Really cool book and a very quick read. I'd suggest that one for sure.
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Cox Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:27 am

Watchmen I heard was really good where could I get my hands on that. The comic book remark was to get rid of someone saying “The amazing spider man # 2” or something like that. The Graphic novel is something in good standing with me. Didn’t Watchmen win the Hugo award???
Dr. Cox
Dr. Cox
Resident Malcontent

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Cox Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:29 am

After Catcher in the Rye my next book is The Perks of being a Wallflower. So do not ruin that for me either.
Dr. Cox
Dr. Cox
Resident Malcontent

Back to top Go down

Post by cpschult Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:39 am

Do you hate fantasy? Right now I'm reading a fantastic book by Patrick Rothfuss called The Name of the Wind.

Robert B Parker is one of my favorite authors with his character's Hawk and Spenser. I also like Tom Clancy (not the chode books where there are ghostwriters); Without Remorse, Patriot Games, The Sum of All Fears. I also like Robert Ludlum. His best work include; The Bourne Identity and the Bourne Supremacy. If you thought the movies were good before reading the books I could understand. If you thought the movies were good (accurate) after reading them I would think you are a fool.
cpschult
cpschult
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:40 am

Dr. Cox wrote:After Catcher in the Rye my next book is The Perks of being a Wallflower. So do not ruin that for me either.

Similar basis to both books...troubled youth. I would imagine most anyone could related the the Wallflower kid on most fronts. Holden was sort of a creature in his own hole. I'd imagine he and Kurt Cobain would have been good friends.
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cpschult Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:41 am

RCBooba wrote:I forgot to add any and all Edgar Allan Poe

Poe is so dark. Does cutting help ease the pain of living ? Razz
cpschult
cpschult
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by RCBooba Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:48 am

Dr. Cox wrote:Watchmen I heard was really good where could I get my hands on that. The comic book remark was to get rid of someone saying “The amazing spider man # 2” or something like that. The Graphic novel is something in good standing with me. Didn’t Watchmen win the Hugo award???

I believe it was the Hugo award. Sandman also is the only literature in comic book format to win a certain prestigious award...I just don't remember which award it was. Both are amazing. Watchmen you can get as a graphic novel, most likely in Barnes & Noble. You can just sit and read it there. Sandman is larger, encompassing 72 issues but broken down in 12 graphic novels. Start at the beginning.
RCBooba
RCBooba
Tormented Sole

Back to top Go down

Post by RCBooba Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:51 am

cpschult wrote:

No but it makes the imagery stand out more.

Poe is dark, but so good. He practically invented deductive reasoning in literature and had the precursor to Sherlock Holmes, as well as having some of the most romantic poetry ever written. He did all this while not having that much education, being a drug addict and alcoholic, and marrying his 13 year old cousin....who wouldnt' love him?
RCBooba
RCBooba
Tormented Sole

Back to top Go down

Post by datrain711 Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:00 pm

Fiction: Probably "The Winner"

Non-Fiction: Either "Stalin" or "I had a Hammer"
datrain711
datrain711
Bright Future

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Cox Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:30 pm

Never heard of the Winner what is it about
Dr. Cox
Dr. Cox
Resident Malcontent

Back to top Go down

Post by datrain711 Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:36 pm

a rigged lottery story with some murders thrown in there too. I used to be a huge John Grisham-type book buff
datrain711
datrain711
Bright Future

Back to top Go down

Post by RCBooba Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:52 pm

Despair - Vladimir Nabokov
The Fall - Albert Camus
RCBooba
RCBooba
Tormented Sole

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Cox Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:33 am

Drago tells me you read tons, I consider myself, of all things, a newbie at reading, so in saying that what are those books about RCBooba? Also I will be finishing The Catcher and the Rye soon and have committed to reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower next, but I did as well pick up The Watchmen while looking around at Barnes and Noble due to your recommendation, looks a bit different I know the graphic novel format is, but I will give it a try.
Dr. Cox
Dr. Cox
Resident Malcontent

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:39 am

Why are you reading so much now? Just because?
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RCBooba Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:53 am

Dr. Cox wrote:Drago tells me you read tons, I consider myself, of all things, a newbie at reading, so in saying that what are those books about RCBooba? Also I will be finishing The Catcher and the Rye soon and have committed to reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower next, but I did as well pick up The Watchmen while looking around at Barnes and Noble due to your recommendation, looks a bit different I know the graphic novel format is, but I will give it a try.

Excellent. Let me know what you think Of Watchmen. And which books were you wondering on what they were about??
RCBooba
RCBooba
Tormented Sole

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Cox Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:00 pm

Despair - Vladimir Nabokov
The Fall - Albert Camus

those two books.

And as for your question Drago, I read tons just kind of hit a slump and want to try a different venue, I tried to just sample a few that are different from my style and ended up reading just terrible books and wanted others view points, maybe fine an author or two that I like.
Dr. Cox
Dr. Cox
Resident Malcontent

Back to top Go down

Post by RCBooba Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:08 pm

Both are written in the first person with unreliable narrators (even more so than Holden).

Despair is about a man recounting how he stumbled upon a bum one day that turns out looked exactly like him; his "twin". He then proceeds to plan his own murder.

The Fall is one giant monologue about a man talking to another man in a bar in France about life and whatnot.

Both are dark and depressing, but very good. Also by Camus I would recommend The Stranger, which is considered his most popular.
RCBooba
RCBooba
Tormented Sole

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:10 pm

Dr. Cox wrote:Despair - Vladimir Nabokov
The Fall - Albert Camus

those two books.

And as for your question Drago, I read tons just kind of hit a slump and want to try a different venue, I tried to just sample a few that are different from my style and ended up reading just terrible books and wanted others view points, maybe fine an author or two that I like.

I use to be into J.D. Salinger, name probably rings a bell for you if you are reading Catcher in the Rye. He is a good author but a little nuts. He reminds me of a coked out Quinten Terrintino. Loves dialog, generally has good to great diaglog but sometimes forgets there needs to be an actual purpose to the damn book.

I would suggest the short story "banana fish" by J.D. Salinger. It's all of 20 pages long but would blow your mind.
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lacey Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:25 pm

RCBooba wrote:
cpschult wrote:

No but it makes the imagery stand out more.

Poe is dark, but so good. He practically invented deductive reasoning in literature and had the precursor to Sherlock Holmes, as well as having some of the most romantic poetry ever written. He did all this while not having that much education, being a drug addict and alcoholic, and marrying his 13 year old cousin....who wouldnt' love him?

You are awesome.
lacey
lacey
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by RCBooba Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:18 am

Thanks Chica. I try.
RCBooba
RCBooba
Tormented Sole

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Cox Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:41 pm

Just started Watchmen, will give you an update on Monday
Dr. Cox
Dr. Cox
Resident Malcontent

Back to top Go down

Post by RCBooba Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:05 pm

Looking forward to it
RCBooba
RCBooba
Tormented Sole

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Cox Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:37 pm

RC, I think I am about half way if not a bit further and so far I am still waiting for it to tie together. So far it has been building up the past and the current characters but that’s about it. I bit of action but nothing that puts the puzzle together yet. Seems it is going in all different directions. I am a bit farther past Rorschach getting captured and Night Owl and Dr. Manhattan’s ex-girl are about to through caution to the wind. So far good characterization, not impressed, but I still have much to read.
Dr. Cox
Dr. Cox
Resident Malcontent

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Cox Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:38 pm

I am confident I will be done with this book by the end of the week and will tackle “The Catcher and the Rye” after that.
Dr. Cox
Dr. Cox
Resident Malcontent

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:39 pm

Dr. Cox wrote:I am confident I will be done with this book by the end of the week and will tackle “The Catcher and the Rye” after that.

meh? I thought you already read that one? I need to get into reading again, i'd say i don't have free time but i do. I really do.
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RCBooba Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:47 pm

On the Road, Drago. On the Road.
RCBooba
RCBooba
Tormented Sole

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Cox Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:07 pm

I am half way through it Drago....Long story
Dr. Cox
Dr. Cox
Resident Malcontent

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:26 pm

Dr. Cox wrote:I am half way through it Drago....Long story

well?...lets have it...
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RCBooba Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:51 pm

He needs to finish it with his girlfriend. They are reading it together. Not that long of a story actually.
RCBooba
RCBooba
Tormented Sole

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:56 pm

RCBooba wrote:He needs to finish it with his girlfriend. They are reading it together. Not that long of a story actually.

how the crap do you know this story? you only met the dude on saturday!
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RCBooba Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:59 pm

I know all.
RCBooba
RCBooba
Tormented Sole

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:00 pm

what is the air speed velocity of an unlaiden swallow?

Last edited by drago on Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RCBooba Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:08 pm

23 knots
RCBooba
RCBooba
Tormented Sole

Back to top Go down

Post by BOMBER Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:17 pm

My favorite nonfiction book is called Garrett and the Dragon King. My favorite fiction book is any of the Animorphs books.
BOMBER
BOMBER
Bright Future

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next