CA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» J10 cui bap
Ripon vs. Concordia not so Close. How bout some Concordia Love EmptyTue May 01, 2012 7:28 am by Mrblack0301

» F35
Ripon vs. Concordia not so Close. How bout some Concordia Love EmptyTue May 01, 2012 7:21 am by Mrblack0301

» Williams Sonoma - Up to 30% Off Entire Order
Ripon vs. Concordia not so Close. How bout some Concordia Love EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 am by kichiki

» New Balance 1870 Women’s Walking Shoes
Ripon vs. Concordia not so Close. How bout some Concordia Love EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 am by kichiki

» Crossover 2-Button Side Vent Plain Front Suit
Ripon vs. Concordia not so Close. How bout some Concordia Love EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:07 am by kichiki

» The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
Ripon vs. Concordia not so Close. How bout some Concordia Love EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:00 am by kichiki

» The Universe: The Mega Collection on Blu-ray
Ripon vs. Concordia not so Close. How bout some Concordia Love EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:00 am by kichiki

» Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
Ripon vs. Concordia not so Close. How bout some Concordia Love EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 4:59 am by kichiki

» Chessmaster Challenge for PC
Ripon vs. Concordia not so Close. How bout some Concordia Love EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 3:05 am by kichiki

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Ripon vs. Concordia not so Close. How bout some Concordia Love

+5
celtic11
kickit
carter
hack
headerheadache
9 posters

Go down

Ripon vs. Concordia not so Close. How bout some Concordia Love Empty Ripon vs. Concordia not so Close. How bout some Concordia Love

Post by headerheadache Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:57 am

I recognize that the article of “Ripon Loses in OT to Concordia” was from their MWC website, however how about some kudos for Concordia and the NAC. I wish to dispute a few points within this article.

First let me start by stating that, I think our team (Concordia Falcons) has had a great start to our season. We were able to manage a tie against Carroll University (who was picked by the MWC to top their conference) and defeated Ripon 3-2. I am proud of our start and an NAC Team vs. MWC Team.

I also understand that some personal views would say that defeating Ripon was not a “true notch on our gun”, but my response is, it is what we were able to accomplish in this game. We out-shot Ripon 23-8, I believe we had 9 corner kicks to Ripons 2, should have had a penalty kick awarded and controlled much of the game.
The article mentions that Ripons defense was superb. Their goalies were superb, and it was the play of the goalies that kept them in the game. As far as the defense goes, they are weak in the center defensive position, which was a problem for them last year and in our game, this position was non existent. They also tripped our forward in the box from behind, who was unabated to the goalie (no call). Prior to our match-up, I thought Ripon would have been tougher defensively, since I had read some things of this, and I am unaware if this was the normal starting line-up or if other factors were at play.
In the match against Ripon we also become aware of a big hole in the center midfield for Ripon and took advantage of this opportunity. There were no challenges from Ripon in this part of the field and a lack of any effort to run down any of our attacks or 50-50 balls. #5 at mid. and #22 (tall player but did not seem to give them any advantage) at center defense allowed us to attack straight at them and control the center of the field, thus shot opportunities. This game should have been a blow-out, kudos to their goalies.

So I am please that we are competing in games, are noticing weaknesses of our opponents, adjusting our game to what is given us and our team play. I do acknowledge that we need to be a little more tighter defensively, but this should improve as the season progresses.
Go Falcons and the NAC

headerheadache

Back to top Go down

Ripon vs. Concordia not so Close. How bout some Concordia Love Empty Re: Ripon vs. Concordia not so Close. How bout some Concordia Love

Post by hack Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:17 pm

All this love but it went into overtime. You gave up a two goal lead. Looking on the roster #22 is a Freshman playing in his third game, starting his second. You team gave up like four goals in conference last year and this team struggled to score 6 or 7 after scoring 7 versus Finlandia. They had a total of 13 all season I think. You can complain about a call that should have happened, bias always seems to come into play. The Kudos i would give would be that your team managed to shake off giving up a two goal lead and managed to win.

So go good soccer play without all the whining about what should have happened. There is a reason the games are not played on paper but on the field.

hack
Semi-noobie

Back to top Go down

Ripon vs. Concordia not so Close. How bout some Concordia Love Empty Re: Ripon vs. Concordia not so Close. How bout some Concordia Love

Post by carter Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:46 pm

headerheadache wrote:I recognize that the article of “Ripon Loses in OT to Concordia” was from their MWC website, however how about some kudos for Concordia and the NAC. I wish to dispute a few points within this article.

First let me start by stating that, I think our team (Concordia Falcons) has had a great start to our season. We were able to manage a tie against Carroll University (who was picked by the MWC to top their conference) and defeated Ripon 3-2. I am proud of our start and an NAC Team vs. MWC Team.

I also understand that some personal views would say that defeating Ripon was not a “true notch on our gun”, but my response is, it is what we were able to accomplish in this game. We out-shot Ripon 23-8, I believe we had 9 corner kicks to Ripons 2, should have had a penalty kick awarded and controlled much of the game.
The article mentions that Ripons defense was superb. Their goalies were superb, and it was the play of the goalies that kept them in the game. As far as the defense goes, they are weak in the center defensive position, which was a problem for them last year and in our game, this position was non existent. They also tripped our forward in the box from behind, who was unabated to the goalie (no call). Prior to our match-up, I thought Ripon would have been tougher defensively, since I had read some things of this, and I am unaware if this was the normal starting line-up or if other factors were at play.
In the match against Ripon we also become aware of a big hole in the center midfield for Ripon and took advantage of this opportunity. There were no challenges from Ripon in this part of the field and a lack of any effort to run down any of our attacks or 50-50 balls. #5 at mid. and #22 (tall player but did not seem to give them any advantage) at center defense allowed us to attack straight at them and control the center of the field, thus shot opportunities. This game should have been a blow-out, kudos to their goalies.

So I am please that we are competing in games, are noticing weaknesses of our opponents, adjusting our game to what is given us and our team play. I do acknowledge that we need to be a little more tighter defensively, but this should improve as the season progresses.
Go Falcons and the NAC

My bad on the slanted view. I pulled it right off the Ripon site, as you mentioned.

Thanks for the write up on how yo uthought the game went. i was at the Carroll/Concordia game and the guy i was sitting with said more than a few times..."this does not feel like a 3-0 game". Then, as you know, the Falcons came roaring back with 3 unanswered goals.

I really like your center mid, #4. If he gets in better shape he should be a top ten player in the state.

Thanks for the input on Ripon, god knows they always play us tough too.
carter
carter
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Ripon vs. Concordia not so Close. How bout some Concordia Love Empty Reply to Hack

Post by headerheadache Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:23 pm

No whinning. I just pointed out, from our view how the game went. As we all know The score does not always tell the full story. I mentioned the penalty, gave my opinion and left it at that. Were you at the game? Your retort is based on stats and stats also do not always prove to be a reliable way to judge a team or individuals. I will take your info as being correct and state that if their starting center defense is a freshman, it showed. Without any adjustments from Ripon they may have a long uphill season. Yes we gave up a two goal lead and made no excuses for these. Ripon did adjust by taking subing out #5 and they were able score two goals and we should have been more aware that this move had taken placed, thus they were able supply a little pressure. However, our winning goal came from center of the box, 18 yards out with no defensive pressure/challenge and it was a rocket sending the back of the net flying. We feel good about the win, just as carroll knew they should have beat us. But thats what makes the game so great.

headerheadache

Back to top Go down

Ripon vs. Concordia not so Close. How bout some Concordia Love Empty Reply to Hack - Concordia the Better Team

Post by kickit Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:47 pm

Hack

I was at the game also and was not supporting either school. Concordia was the better team and I also agree that the take down in the box should have triggered a penalty.

Ripons right side defender tended to play more body play instead of playing the ball and was beat a few times. Ripon also got a yellow card that was unwarranted (poor kid heard it from the coach).

Headerheadache, although a Concordia guy, was spot-on with his evaluation of the game. Ripon was lazy and seemed to play scared in the middle of the field. I was suprised to see team speed somewhat below average. If it was not for #4 of Ripon covering in the center this game would have been a blow-out.

You play the games your scheduled to play and winning them ugly or in spectacular fashion still gives a mark in the win column. Good game Concordia.

I think Ripon maybe still searching for the right player in the correct spot.

kickit

Back to top Go down

Post by carter Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:54 pm

kickit wrote:

I think Ripon maybe still searching for the right player in the correct spot.

Right on. I haven't seen them play yet but any time a new coach comes on the scene, there will be growing pains. Kids always say where they want to play but the coach really needs to find out where the guys truly fit.

i hope the figure it out before conference starts up. We need a strong wisconsin!
carter
carter
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by celtic11 Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:11 pm

For starters, I have a hard time believing that kickit has no affiliation with Concordia. Which is why I will admit that I have a slight (played with a player on the team) affiliation with Ripon and I was at this game. With all this in mind, my opinion of the game differs from that of kickit and headerheadache in certain aspects. I'll try my best to respectfully elaborate.

First of all, Concordia definitely controlled possession but I felt as they were never very threatening. Many of Concordia's shots were long range efforts that flew well over and around the goal. The keeper play for Ripon was good but really not all that spectacular as you're making it seem, there were two saves that I recall that the keeper had to extend and neither was amazing. In fact, I actually thought the second goal for Concordia could have been saved but it appeared as though the goalie was screened. The defense play of Ripon was actually fairly stellar from my point of view, Ripon managed to win a good amount of 50-50s and their backs, especially center, stopped a couple counter attacks. They could definitely improve on ball movement out of the back though, which I think can largely be attributed to them being a young unit with not much experience together. I believe that applies for other positions including center mid as well. The biggest problem in my opinion for Ripon was their center mids not tracking back all the time, forcing one their defenders to make a big play (which they actually did from time to time).

As for Concordia's 9 corner kicks, I think there was maybe one that was semi dangerous. The service was awful and as I recall just about every one was either cleared by the keeper or headed away by a Ripon player. The same applied for Concordia deadballs. However, I believe it was 22 (the left back for Concordia) who provided good service every now and then as he did a good job coming out of the back. He and CU’s forward (3) were the two players that impressed me. When number 3 came out of the game, Ripon’s defense shut down CU fairly easily. 3 was definitely a playmaker.

Lastly, headerheadache I feel as though you're exaggerating the winning goal to make Ripon’s defense sound worse for some reason. The goal was about 20 yards out from the right side of the box, contested by the centerback (who appeared to somewhat screen the goalie, don’t think it really mattered), and just well struck in general. CU got the deserved win but Ripon played well against a solid opponent and I think you’re giving their defense far too little credit for how they played. To me, they were clearly frustrating Concordia players time after time who couldn’t get good shots off. Feel free to disagree with anything I said, this is just the game from my perspective.

celtic11

Back to top Go down

Post by hack Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:34 pm

No whinning. I just pointed out, from our view how the game went. As we all know The score does not always tell the full story. I mentioned the penalty, gave my opinion and left it at that. Were you at the game? Your retort is based on stats and stats also do not always prove to be a reliable way to judge a team or individuals. I will take your info as being correct and state that if their starting center defense is a freshman, it showed. Without any adjustments from Ripon they may have a long uphill season. Yes we gave up a two goal lead and made no excuses for these. Ripon did adjust by taking subing out #5 and they were able score two goals and we should have been more aware that this move had taken placed, thus they were able supply a little pressure. However, our winning goal came from center of the box, 18 yards out with no defensive pressure/challenge and it was a rocket sending the back of the net flying. We feel good about the win, just as carroll knew they should have beat us. But thats what makes the game so great..
headerheadache

Stats and Stats alone do not seem to be a reliable way to prove a a team or an individual. You just argued yourself right out of a point. You spouted the 23-8 shots on goal and the 9-2 cornerkick ratio. All well and good, Having watched and played a lot of soccer I hve been and seen many games that the dominant team does not win. The game is played on the field by two teams that give all that they have.
You exemplify what is so wrong with the world of college sports. It is supposed to be about getting better but having fun doing it. The kids are not paid the play for the love of the game, so instead of saying hey Ripon came by and played a hard game but we proved to be the better team you slander them and state that your team should ahve scored more and totally dominated. If that was the case the game would not have gone 93 minutes and ended 3-2.

If people would just understand that every bad word you say against an opponent just takes away from your team. They sucked but we beat them 3-2. That says more about the lack of talent on your team to beat them, which according to some of the reponders above say, your team is pretty good with some great players. Why would you take away from them by saying your opponent wasn't very good. if the ball bounces a different way and you lose the game then what?
What is sad is you sound like a coach or player and you just downgrade your team by saying how bad your opponent was. Talking smack is fine until the game starts, after it you just respect the team you played, the scoreboard will tell you who was the better team. Your scoreboard may say you won, but you are not acting like you have a better team.

hack
Semi-noobie

Back to top Go down

Post by kickit Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:33 am

Celtic11

I am not a player, coach or affilated with any schools. I am a soccer fan who lives near/around the Milwaukee area and I am semi retired so I like to go to games of the various conferences. You could call it my hobby and I enjoy it, thus I have seen many teams/games over the last couple of years. However, I will admit that I have a socccer background and family origins in Europe. I happen to be at Concordia for unrelated sports or school affilated business and noticed the game when leaving and stayed to watch on a nice September Day. Your opinon was well written and please take this as positive constructive observations. When coaching, always look inward at yourself first and what you could have done better, then at what weaknesses your team may have to improve on. Sometimes finding the right chemistry takes time and trial/error. I stand by my observations with no malice, your team has the potential to put more wins in the win column this year, but there are some holes that need to me patched. Good Luck.

Headerheadache did not say anything bad and it was nice to see another conference post here. It appears he is a Concordia fan with a love for the game and his team. His comments were fair.

Hack

Headerheadache appears to be no more than a fan and again in my opinon pointed out some legitimate observations. However, it is my opinon that your response as a head coach, to any blogs by a fan is inappropriate. If you would re-read your last response, it was ramblings of perceptions of what was never said or intended. I would think that a college would not look positive on their coach behaving in such a manner. You speak of "slander & respect" and play the character issue. Practice what you preach, in my opinon your being hypocrtical and is distrubing from someone in your position.

kickit

Back to top Go down

Post by Craigaldo Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:40 pm

Concordia 3 Ripon 2. Shoulda/woulda/coulda....they got the job done and thats all that matters
Craigaldo
Craigaldo
Resident Malcontent

http://www.geocities.com/graftonsoccer

Back to top Go down

Post by hack Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:06 pm

Kickit,
I am not a coach, I said he, HEADERHEADACHE, sounded like a coach. I agree about his observations because I did not see the game. What I don't agree we was him saying that his team's opponents don't play very good. My point was simply that he should be praising the play of his team and respect the play of the opponent. The way his posts read to me was a bit of a slam on his opponent.
From what I read, here and other places it was a game that Concordia controlled but couldn't quite finish off the Ripon team.
So like Craigaldo said shoulda woulda coulda Concordia pulled it out.

hack
Semi-noobie

Back to top Go down

Post by everyonesanexpert Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:30 pm

headerheadache doesn't know what he's talking about. He's obviously a Concordia coach. He seems to think that Concordia dominated the midfield the entire game when that was not the case. Midfield play was pretty even between both teams. Watch the film if you have to. Ripon also put two goals in on Concordia's supposed stellar defense. They're defense seemed pretty weak compared to Ripon's. Ripon defender 9 very cleanly tackled Concordia's forward in the box. It may have seemed different from the angles others had because they did not have a view on the ball. The referee, however, had a clear view of the tackle and Ripon defender 9 got all ball. It's pretty obvious when the ball goes sideways also. As for shots go, yes, Concordia took more shots. But it seemed as if it was strategy to let them take long shots, being confident they would be somewhat feeble attempts their goalies could handle. So give Ripon some damn credit for playing Concordia to overtime. pricks.

everyonesanexpert

Back to top Go down

Post by Ollie Octagon Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:08 pm

Maybe I am in the minority but I did not think this was a Ripon bash. Even the guys that said the score was not indicitive of the game said that Ripon played hard and surprised Concordia with their comeback.

If anything, this has to be a sign of better things to come for Ripon. First year with a new coach, from what I gather from the interview with Gordon, it's their first year in a flat four defense.

Take it with a grain of salt, better results may be on the horizon.
Ollie Octagon
Ollie Octagon
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Ripon vs. Concordia not so Close. How bout some Concordia Love Empty Wow - Passionate Ripon Fans

Post by headerheadache Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:47 pm

Wow - who would have Thought,

Yes I am a Concordia Fan, not a player or coach and was happy with how we had started at that period in time. I am 10 years removed from college and was blessed at one-time to play at a higher level in another area of the U.S.

Never did I say that anyone sucked, that our defense was stellar ( on the contrarry, I admitted we need to improve defensively) or use Foul Language to Name Call. No bashing, just my observation., As you voiced yours about the slide-tackle in the box.

"Everyonesanexpert" its obvious your a Ripon fan or #9 and passionate for your team and I think thats great. I have no problem debating the merritts of the game and any differing views in a mature/respectful manner. Civil discussions about matches can be fun if done in a respectful manner.

Good Luck with your season.

headerheadache

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:55 pm

headerheadache wrote:Wow - who would have Thought,

Yes I am a Concordia Fan, not a player or coach and was happy with how we had started at that period in time. I am 10 years removed from college and was blessed at one-time to play at a higher level in another area of the U.S.

Never did I say that anyone sucked, that our defense was stellar ( on the contrarry, I admitted we need to improve defensively) or use Foul Language to Name Call. No bashing, just my observation., As you voiced yours about the slide-tackle in the box.

"Everyonesanexpert" its obvious your a Ripon fan or #9 and passionate for your team and I think thats great. I have no problem debating the merritts of the game and any differing views in a mature/respectful manner. Civil discussions about matches can be fun if done in a respectful manner.

Good Luck with your season.

Great post. The problem with message boards is that you can't get a good feel for someone's voice infliction. So many times things come out as being offensive but aren't really intended that way.

I love reading the comments about Ripon, and Concordia. Without the fan insight I really have nothing to go on.

I will probably be video taping the Concordia game tomorrow (i think it's tomorrow?) and will post about ten minutes of video on here. I expect CU to look even better than they did in the come back against Carroll. They have a lot of talent but i thought a lot of guys needed more fitness...pretty common this early in the year.

Good luck CU.
drago
drago
Admin

http://www.cheeseathletics.com

Back to top Go down

Ripon vs. Concordia not so Close. How bout some Concordia Love Empty Slide Tackle any Opinions

Post by kickit Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:36 am

So let’s set aside any schools and teams and talk about an isolated topic that everyone can freely voice their views on without pointing fingers. Since there seems to be passion about slide-tackles, why don’t we start with this?

Whether a slide-tackle is clean or not is usually far too judgmental and there will always be points of view on both sides. If you poll a 100 on-lookers you would probably be split 50-50 (we are obviously talking about plays that do not include blatant dangerous plays, which most are not). Slide-tackle calls are usually best left to the referee’s. However, there are 2 points that can be debated fairly and these are my personal views.

1) Any slide-tackle performed in the box (whether clean or done correctly) will have everyone who is watching holding their breath for that brief moment of a nanosecond, waiting to see if the referee is going to make a call. I am sure we have all experienced this. If you have ever felt this, you would agree that it a bad choice for in the box.
2) I was and still am a believer that if one needs to perform a slide-tackle it is usually a last ditch effort , usually due to a player being out-maneuvered, caught flat-footed, or a team out of position. It’s better to stay on your feet and be quicker with them or take a better angle of attack to keep ones-self from having to use a slide-tackle. Yes it is a tool that can be pulled from the tool box, but if used too often eventually the odds will catch-up and hopefully it won’t be in the box costing a win in a very important match.

kickit

Back to top Go down

Post by Craigaldo Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:20 am

This thread is going nowhere fast....arent there conference games coming up this weekend??? Can we start a new thread to make some predictions...
Craigaldo
Craigaldo
Resident Malcontent

http://www.geocities.com/graftonsoccer

Back to top Go down

Post by everyonesanexpert Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:55 pm

For the record, I'm a Ripon fan who happened to have had a good angle to see the tackle in the box.

everyonesanexpert

Back to top Go down

Post by carter Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:51 pm

Carroll had their own PK called the other night. It was unfortunate it had to decide the game but i think it was the right call.

I'll post the video by the weekend.
carter
carter
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down