CA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» J10 cui bap
In this post about favre, all topics are covered EmptyTue May 01, 2012 7:28 am by Mrblack0301

» F35
In this post about favre, all topics are covered EmptyTue May 01, 2012 7:21 am by Mrblack0301

» Williams Sonoma - Up to 30% Off Entire Order
In this post about favre, all topics are covered EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 am by kichiki

» New Balance 1870 Women’s Walking Shoes
In this post about favre, all topics are covered EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 am by kichiki

» Crossover 2-Button Side Vent Plain Front Suit
In this post about favre, all topics are covered EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:07 am by kichiki

» The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
In this post about favre, all topics are covered EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:00 am by kichiki

» The Universe: The Mega Collection on Blu-ray
In this post about favre, all topics are covered EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:00 am by kichiki

» Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
In this post about favre, all topics are covered EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 4:59 am by kichiki

» Chessmaster Challenge for PC
In this post about favre, all topics are covered EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 3:05 am by kichiki

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

In this post about favre, all topics are covered

3 posters

Go down

In this post about favre, all topics are covered Empty In this post about favre, all topics are covered

Post by Mr. Reynolds Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:37 am

Packers say one thing, do another as Favre mess lingers
By Gene Wojciechowski
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: July 28, 2008, 12:16 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
So unless he "misremembers" -- to use Roger Clemens' word -- Brett Favre once again confirmed all you need to know about the integrity, or lack of it, of Green Bay Packers management.

First of all, it did the very thing it accuses Favre of doing: It waffled. Actually, general manager Ted Thompson waffled.

A little more than two weeks ago, Thompson said Favre, who mis-retired, could return to the team "as an active member of the Green Bay Packers." Active, as in, on the active roster. But not as the starter.

But the truth is Thompson doesn't want Favre within a Sturgeon Bay of the Packers' training camp. He never did. All that talk of Favre's returning in "some role" was clumsy Thompson propaganda.

The latest proof is in Favre's Sunday interview with ESPN's Chris Mortensen. According to Favre, the quarterback asked Thompson if he'd be "welcome" if he reported to the opening of training camp. A reasonable question.

Thompson, said Favre, "was just about shattered. He said, 'Brett, you can't do that -- you'll get me fired.' I told him I'm not trying to get anybody fired. So Ted asked me to let the guys report and let's try to resolve this over the next two or three days."

Thompson knows what would have happened if Favre had been issued a helmet and a jersey today. Everybody knows. Favre would have been the best quarterback on the field. Thompson knows what would have happened if Favre had been issued a helmet and a jersey today. Everybody knows. Favre would have been the best quarterback on the field.

Forget the three-ring media circus if Favre had reported. That's the least of Thompson's problems. His backpedaling and then reversal on Favre's supposed "role" with the team is the admission that counts.

Thompson isn't interested in putting the best product on the field. If he were, he'd let Aaron Rodgers, his handpicked successor to Favre, compete for the starting position. Sure, there'd be off-the-charts media and fan scrutiny. Isn't that part of it?

If Rodgers can't handle the pressure of Favre's presence and open competition for the job in July, what makes you think he can handle the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field in December? But Thompson doesn't want the best man to win. He wants his man to win. So no quarterback bake-off.

At the very least, Thompson should have told Favre: "You want to come back? Fine. I think you're making a mistake, but it's your life and your legacy. If you do come back, it's going to be an open competition for the starting job. I give you my word we'll judge it as objectively as possible. But if Rodgers wins, you're the backup and you can't bitch about it. Deal?"

And at the very most, Thompson could have said: "You gave us 16 great years. Here's your release."

Instead, the Packers are trying to trade their best quarterback. I repeat, their best quarterback. Of course, Favre isn't good enough for them, but he is good enough that the Packers reportedly want a first-round draft pick in exchange for his rights.

This is what I mean by Packers flip-flopping. In March, Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy and assistant coach Tom Clements were telling Favre he could "still play at a high level." But now the Packers don't think he's worth the trouble? Yet they think the negotiations for his rights should start at a first-rounder?

If Thompson can get a second-round pick for Favre, take it. Maybe you add some sort of escalation clause -- if his new team advances to the conference championship game, the second-round pick becomes a first-rounder. I'm just spitballing here.

...Nobody has bungled this situation more than Thompson. From the disingenuous "We Care About Favre's Legacy" stance, to the convenient and false statement that Favre could return to the team, Thompson has written the textbook on mismanagement. The bottom line is this: If you believe in Rodgers as much as you say you do, you trade Favre. And it shouldn't matter where. If NFC North rival Minnesota offers the most comprehensive package, you trade him to Minnesota. If Chicago comes up with the best deal, then off to the Bears he goes. That way you get Favre's name off the roster and draft picks in your pocket. It's a win-win.

Favre didn't do himself or his image any favors by changing his mind on retirement. And he's taken considerable heat for it -- some of it deserved, some of it bordering on the hysterical.

But nobody has bungled this situation more than Thompson. From the disingenuous "We Care About Favre's Legacy" stance, to the convenient and false statement that Favre could return to the team, Thompson has written the textbook on mismanagement.

Thompson keeps insisting the Packers have moved forward, as if the mere act of saying the words makes it true. But until he does one of three things -- trade Favre, release Favre or welcome Favre back -- the Packers aren't moving anywhere, especially forward.

Time to make a decision, Ted. Now it's your legacy at stake.
Mr. Reynolds
Mr. Reynolds
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

In this post about favre, all topics are covered Empty Re: In this post about favre, all topics are covered

Post by drago Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:16 pm

if this really covered everything it was conclude that favre is a 40 year old drama queen who lost her stuff.
drago
drago
Admin

http://www.cheeseathletics.com

Back to top Go down

In this post about favre, all topics are covered Empty Re: In this post about favre, all topics are covered

Post by Mr. Reynolds Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:17 pm

no but it includes everything, what they would get for him.. 1st rounder!!
Mr. Reynolds
Mr. Reynolds
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:23 pm

Just because some lame beat writer from wisconsin says it's true, doesn't make it so.

They wont' get a first, they won't even get a second.
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Reynolds Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:27 pm

they won't get anything... if thompson decides to make it a whoever is the best quarterback in training camp gets the job. they won't have to. favre will be the #1 guy
Mr. Reynolds
Mr. Reynolds
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:36 pm

you need to take a reading comprehension class...

favre will not be on the packers this year...sorry dude, but he's not even in camp because the GM is admittdly getting rid of him.
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Reynolds Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:37 pm

don't say that. well, he's not going to the jets!!!!! haaha
Mr. Reynolds
Mr. Reynolds
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:38 pm

lol!

you make it sound like i want him on the jets!
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Reynolds Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:39 pm

you damn better want him on the jets.. he'll be the best player on the jets since martin in his prime
Mr. Reynolds
Mr. Reynolds
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:41 pm

News flash...martin is overrated. He never posted a year where he was in the top 10 in YPC and he had some great O-lines to work with. The guy never fumbled and was a great teammate...not a great football player.

Coles has been the best jet for his 6 or 7 seasons here...hands down. Harris and Rhodes are right with him.
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Reynolds Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:46 pm

lavarius coles..... 7/8 years. he hasn't been livein for 7 years yet
Mr. Reynolds
Mr. Reynolds
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:46 pm

i don't follow?
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ollie Octagon Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:41 pm

drago wrote:News flash...martin is overrated. He never posted a year where he was in the top 10 in YPC and he had some great O-lines to work with. The guy never fumbled and was a great teammate...not a great football player.

Coles has been the best jet for his 6 or 7 seasons here...hands down. Harris and Rhodes are right with him.

I love how you hate the great players and love the average players. By all means, continue.
Ollie Octagon
Ollie Octagon
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Reynolds Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:44 pm

martin was great you weirdo!!
Mr. Reynolds
Mr. Reynolds
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:57 pm

Mr. Reynolds wrote:martin was great you weirdo!!

Martin was good, he was amazingly durable. He was never great for one season, he is only considered great for his career. I'm sorry but that is not what i'm looking for in a running back. I want an RB to be the most explosive and dangerous player on the team...martin was never that guy. he never had top end speed evident by him never breaking long runs.

He broke tackles pretty well, he rarely lost yardage, caught well, never fumbled...all great traits. What he did do was rack up an insane amount of career rushing yards based on that fact that he never got hurt...or if he did get hurt he played through it.

Lets be honest 1100 yards per season is pretty average anymore, he rarely went above that other than 2004. I love the guy, he just isn't as good as the commentators say.
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Reynolds Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:03 pm

i'm pretty sure i would rather have martin than whoever they have now
Mr. Reynolds
Mr. Reynolds
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:05 pm

Than Jones? Hell yeah i'd take Martin over jones. But i would not give up Leon Washington for Martin. Washington is a burner, a total X factor. If you have watched any jets games you'll know this guy, he is the one major difference maker on that offense.
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Reynolds Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:08 pm

i doubt that leon is going to break 1000 yrds this season
Mr. Reynolds
Mr. Reynolds
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:17 pm

I would bet money that he doesn't. I would also bet that he is right around 1100 yards in all purpose yards (not including kick returns).

I honestly think he is better than Reggie Bush. Bush had the 16th or 17th most 20 yard runs and his YPC were right at 4. Now i know he starts and with more opportunity means your average generally goes down, but leon had one of the absolute worst O-lines in football last year and still posted above a 5 in YPC.

His receptions are better than bush too. Yards after catch, yards per catch...he just lost out on overall catches because the saints force it to bush nearly every play.

Antoher thing about bush...no 100 yard rushing games in 07. Not one. Meanwhile, his replacement, one Aaron Stecker posted 4 100 yards in 6 weeks.

is Aaron Stecker also better than Bush? possibly.

Bush sucks.
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Reynolds Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:21 pm

yea people said that bush would be the next barry sanders??? haah what a joke
Mr. Reynolds
Mr. Reynolds
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down