CA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» J10 cui bap
Grinnell - Should count Their Blessings - Christmas Comes Early EmptyTue May 01, 2012 7:28 am by Mrblack0301

» F35
Grinnell - Should count Their Blessings - Christmas Comes Early EmptyTue May 01, 2012 7:21 am by Mrblack0301

» Williams Sonoma - Up to 30% Off Entire Order
Grinnell - Should count Their Blessings - Christmas Comes Early EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 am by kichiki

» New Balance 1870 Women’s Walking Shoes
Grinnell - Should count Their Blessings - Christmas Comes Early EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 am by kichiki

» Crossover 2-Button Side Vent Plain Front Suit
Grinnell - Should count Their Blessings - Christmas Comes Early EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:07 am by kichiki

» The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
Grinnell - Should count Their Blessings - Christmas Comes Early EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:00 am by kichiki

» The Universe: The Mega Collection on Blu-ray
Grinnell - Should count Their Blessings - Christmas Comes Early EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:00 am by kichiki

» Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
Grinnell - Should count Their Blessings - Christmas Comes Early EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 4:59 am by kichiki

» Chessmaster Challenge for PC
Grinnell - Should count Their Blessings - Christmas Comes Early EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 3:05 am by kichiki

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Grinnell - Should count Their Blessings - Christmas Comes Early

+10
skoprows
drago
BenVA
carter
cpschult
Ollie Octagon
spease21
Oldman
Craigaldo
noworries
14 posters

Go down

Grinnell - Should count Their Blessings - Christmas Comes Early Empty Grinnell - Should count Their Blessings - Christmas Comes Early

Post by noworries Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:20 am

Carroll / Grinnell match was good game and I do not have anything new to add, that already has not been said.

Grinnell gets into tourny with much help:

Grinnell should have lost big time to Ripon Yesterday (maybe carrolls game had them tired). Best game I have seen Ripon Play. Outstanding Defense and midfield showed-up. Ripon the better team yesterday.

I will give details later, no time now, but here is a liitle insight.

Grinnells goalie gets Red Carded.

Referee takes 3 (yes u read correctly) away from Ripon.

Referee terrible penalty call late and non-calls.

Ripon's Coach in second half, play's a prevent game, with questionable substitutions. Players had no chance between this and the Referree.

Sitting on Grinnells side, it was somber and I thought Ripon had this one won. As Grinnell supporters may have at the time.

Yes Grinnell was down one player most of the game. But Ripon had their "A" game and IMO was offensively better (this day) with defense having best game yet. This before losing Goalie.

Never seen such a bad officiated game.

Grinnell, I still feel you have a good team. But Christmas came early. Yesterday Ripon was the better team.

noworries

Back to top Go down

Grinnell - Should count Their Blessings - Christmas Comes Early Empty Re: Grinnell - Should count Their Blessings - Christmas Comes Early

Post by Craigaldo Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:40 pm

noworries, please tell me it wasnt the same terrible ref from the Carroll Grinnell game.

Small older black man. Used his whistle to point on throw ins...
Craigaldo
Craigaldo
Resident Malcontent

http://www.geocities.com/graftonsoccer

Back to top Go down

Grinnell - Should count Their Blessings - Christmas Comes Early Empty Re: Grinnell - Should count Their Blessings - Christmas Comes Early

Post by Oldman Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:13 pm

Was a good game for Grinnell, got Grinnell both the offensive and defensive player of the Week!! lol

Oldman

Back to top Go down

Post by Craigaldo Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:06 pm

When is Andy Prentice gonna get respect lol. 2nd team last two years....Carrolls most decorated forward in history. Scored goal against Grinnell with 9 minutes left then had 3 on sunday against Knox...also didnt get player of the week after 4 against Ripon then adding another against Monmouth I believe. Has to be the favorite for POY right now IMO
Craigaldo
Craigaldo
Resident Malcontent

Back to top Go down

Post by spease21 Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:38 pm

i agree i cant figure out how they can lose a game to carroll and get both offensive and defensive players of the week i mean congrats on the come back against ripon but prentice had 4 goals in 2 games leads the league in points and goals and i dont think he's even been player of the week this year...

spease21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ollie Octagon Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:09 pm

Prentice does deserve more recognition. I am not sure how he manages to fly so low under the radar.

Craigaldo, how many player of the week awards did you win last year? I know you earned the 2008 POY award but I am wondering if not having any POW awards in 2009 will hurt Prentice's chances at POY. It would be silly if it does but such is Division III soccer (referring to the ranking system).
Ollie Octagon
Ollie Octagon
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldman Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:04 pm

My money is on a Grinnell player for POY!!

Oldman

Back to top Go down

Post by Craigaldo Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:13 pm

Ollie, in my 4 years at Carroll I have not earned POW week once haha...

And im assuming we win on wed night against Beloit the Player of the Year will probably be somebody from Carroll....or if St.Norberts wins the conference tournament I can see Ben VA getting it...

Although Ben's stats are great its hard to give it to a player on the team that has 2 losses and if we beat them will have 3....just my opinion since they did recieve 4 first place votes
Craigaldo
Craigaldo
Resident Malcontent

Back to top Go down

Post by cpschult Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:39 pm

spease21 wrote:i agree i cant figure out how they can lose a game to carroll and get both offensive and defensive players of the week i mean congrats on the come back against ripon but prentice had 4 goals in 2 games leads the league in points and goals and i dont think he's even been player of the week this year...

I know when I was at Carroll from '02-'06 mobs didn't nominate players for the weekly awards. I've seen a few Carroll names as weekly players so he might have changed his stance... but I'm guessing mobs didn't nominate anyone?
cpschult
cpschult
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by carter Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:13 pm

I'm not 100% sure on this but I thought that nominations were exclusive to all-conference and such? If mobley had his way, no one on his team would ever get all conference or POW. rl
carter
carter
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by cpschult Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:01 am

true that
cpschult
cpschult
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by BenVA Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:58 am

Craig I think the only way I would win over Andy at this point is if we beat you twice. Halloween and conf tourny.
BenVA
BenVA
Semi-noobie

Back to top Go down

Grinnell - Should count Their Blessings - Christmas Comes Early Empty Drago

Post by noworries Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:51 pm

Yes, Ripon/Grinnell had the same Referee as Carroll and I did not think officiating could get much worse from the Carroll/Grinnell match. I was wrong.

I would like to mention though that 95% of the time, the Referee’s does a professional job under very difficult circumstances. They will always tend to be second guessed and take allot of flak from players, coaches and fans. The Ripon/Grinnell game was the worst officiating I have seen at the college level. However, we need to remember that this is isolated to this one official and should not be a label for the many fine referees’, who do their jobs fairly with professionalism.

Recap: Grinnell/Ripon

Early in the game, Ripon's forward has a one-on-one with the goalie, when the goalie comes out and takes out the forward. Ripons forward was still able to get a weak shot off and scores. The Ref states no goal, gives Grinnell’s goalie a Red card for not playing the ball and awards RC a penalty kick. Grinnell saves the PK.

Later in the game, once again Ripon gets a step on Grinnell's defender and is proceeding for another one-on-one with the goalie, when taken down by GR. Ref makes no call, awards a goal kick (?). RC had position on the goalie and I believe would have scored easily.

Late in game with RC up 2-1, Referee awards GR a PK when GR#7 takes a fall on a header. RC player wins header with a very clean jump, straight-up with little contact, but Ref. bites on the fall and a grunt from the GR player (I give GR kudos for the attempt, thus getting the call). This was another terrible, terrible call by this center official who should not have ever been fooled by this.

Late in the game, tied 2-2 I believe (could have been game winner); RC is awarded a free kick from about 35 yards out. The ball sails over the outstretched hand of the goalie, glances off the underside of the crossbar, hitting the back of the net. Side judge calls it good goal. Referee, who was at 40yrd area, takes goal away. I think he stated interference; however, no one was within 4 feet of the goalie.

Match started out well, with RC having a real good game. It appeared (?-any RC people help me) that RC played with a 4th defender who was Marking GR#7 and GR#10. I enjoyed watching the match-up between RC's defender #19 and GR's forward #7. I feel that RC's coach did a good job with this decision. I think that GR thought that they could get behind RC's defense with GR#7 speed. RC was not only able to take the speed away but smart D-Play by #19 did not allow crosses or inside runs. It neutralized GR's offensive push and allowed the defense to play outstanding (good job RC - D), without too many bodies in the defensive third.

Midway through the second half, RC leads 2-0, controlled much of the game and would have scored a few more, had it not been for the outstanding play by GR's goalies.
However, all changed when RC's coach decided to switch to play a "not-to-lose" type game/formation and made questionable substitutions to his starting defense.

I have to give my "hats-off" to the Ripon players for stepping-up their game and out playing the better team (to that point). I feel without the bad officiating you would have possibly been headed to the MWC Tourny.

noworries

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:35 pm

noworries...great write up. I threw it up on the front page, I hope this is still ok, per our prior conversation.
drago
drago
Admin

http://www.cheeseathletics.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldman Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:00 pm

If the referee was the same for both games, why are the names different on the box scores? Keyi Zhang - Ripon game and Letif AlYassiri Carroll game

Oldman

Back to top Go down

Post by carter Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:45 pm

it might be a theme out there. the refs were pretty bad when Carroll played Grinnell, i'll take noworries' word for them being even worse the next day.

The guy i was talking to during the game and I agreed that the ref consistently called the foul backwards to what it actually was. It was actually sort of impressive.
carter
carter
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Grinnell - Should count Their Blessings - Christmas Comes Early Empty OLDMAN

Post by noworries Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:51 pm

I know I had seen that also. But it appeared to me, to be the same guy and I did not think that 2 different Referees' could both be that bad and call the game in a similar fashion.

What could be the odds of this and be similar in appearance. I figured it may have been a miss print.

If it was 2 differnt officials, it does not bode well out there in Iowa.

Good Luck to all.

noworries

Back to top Go down

Post by skoprows Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:13 pm

I was just wondering if anyone could hook me up with the songs from grinnells warm up tape, i really liked one of their songs but can't remember any lyrics.

skoprows

Back to top Go down

Post by BenVA Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:15 am

Find a friend with an iPhone/itouch.
Download shazam.
?????
Profit.
BenVA
BenVA
Semi-noobie

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldman Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:55 am

noworries wrote:I know I had seen that also. But it appeared to me, to be the same guy and I did not think that 2 different Referees' could both be that bad and call the game in a similar fashion.

What could be the odds of this and be similar in appearance. I figured it may have been a miss print.

If it was 2 differnt officials, it does not bode well out there in Iowa.

Good Luck to all.

Thanks, it was a good report on the game.

Oldman

Back to top Go down

Post by everyonesanexpert Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:51 am

none of you have any idea how crushed the ripon players were after this game. it was a long bus ride. we had a chance at making the tournament after last seasons 1-8 record. its just a shame to outplay one of the best teams in the region and get jipped out of glory. watch out for us next year.

everyonesanexpert

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:19 pm

From the looks of the score sheet that must have been a terrible feeling. Up 2-0 and having it slip away. I feel confident in saying that most everyone on this message board has been there but maybe not under those circumstances.

You had a great season and i'm sure things will turn for the better next year.
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MRosenberg Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:48 pm

I have a lot of respect for the Ripon team after that match, you guys played your hearts out, and after the red card continued to play impressively. The referee only disallowed two goals, though, as the "missed" PK call should not have been a penalty, there was no way. Also, the first "disallowed goal" was because the referee blew the whistle after our goalie and the Ripon player collided, the ball had not been kicked in yet. The last thing is that the PK call for Grinnell was deserved, our player jumped, received the ball on his chest, and while coming down to shoot was hit pretty hard in the back, causing him to fall over. That was a deserved PK.
I also want to commend the Ripon coach for coming over to the Grinnell team talk and thanking us for our hard work and letting us know that as upset as he was about the way the game went, including the refereeing, he in no way blamed the players or the coaches of our team, instead complimenting our determination despite being two goals and a man down. I'm sure it was a rough bus ride back, but the Ripon team has a lot to look forward to, and a coach with integrity goes a long way towards helping that.

MRosenberg

Back to top Go down

Post by thechieftan Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:15 pm

The track list for the Grinnell warmup was:

Ante Up-MOP
Anna Molly-Incubus
Infinity 2008-Guru Josh Project
Real Big-Mannie Fresh
Ooh Ahh-Grits
Now You're Gone-Basshunters
War Within a Breath-RATM

And props to the Ripon team, you guys played with passion and the forwards at least were quality guys

thechieftan

Back to top Go down

Post by thechieftan Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:18 pm

Also, there were two different refs for the Carroll and Ripon games. And who officiated Ripon-Grinnell couldn't really speak any English so....

thechieftan

Back to top Go down

Post by thechieftan Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:24 pm

And one more thing:

I'd like to predict than when Grinnell upsets Carroll in the MWC tourny, Andrew Stephenson will win the POY award, along with another POW to add to his mantle

thechieftan

Back to top Go down

Post by carter Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:54 pm

BenVA wrote:Find a friend with an iPhone/itouch.
Download shazam.
?????
Profit.

not sure how i missed this. rl

I like that grinnell is already talking **** but come on...score board?
carter
carter
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Grinnell - Should count Their Blessings - Christmas Comes Early Empty MRosenberg - Were You and I watching the same Game??

Post by noworries Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:51 am

I am assuming you are a Grinnell supporter and I think that your view of the plays may be somewhat bias. Thats OK, its great that more persons are commenting on their teams.

However, I was there watching in a neutral capacity and I will have to disagree with your points on the Goalie-Red Card play and the awarded PK to Grinnell late in game.

On the Red-card: RC had just gotten the shot off a fraction of a second befoer GR goalie took out the forward (RC#5 I think) and GR's goalie was able to get a piece of the ball. This is why the ball rolled so slowly into the net. The offical was too quick with the whistle and needed to wait to see where the ball was going (similar to an advantage play). Maybe and maybe not a red card offense. But give the goal and play-on.

I standby my view of the PK and I had a very good view from GR's side. GR#7 was never even close to attemptimg to getting into position to get a shot. GR#7 is a talented player, but I give RC's #19 the win in that match-up, he never became a factor until maybe later, after RC's coach took him and other startinfg defenders out.

As far as POW, Grinnell goalie is good joice and deserved. The other is questionable, seeing that it would not have came to be, had RC stayed with game plan and original defense and mids and forwards.

Do you have any film you could post on here of these so we can watch them?

The MWC post season talk heating-up. Carroll has swayed my original opinion of their team with letting their on-field play do thier talking and Winning in spite of bad officiating.

But Post season is a new season, so-to-speak, one and done.

noworries

Back to top Go down

Grinnell - Should count Their Blessings - Christmas Comes Early Empty Same game; different view

Post by MRosenberg Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:19 pm

First off, the ball was rolling slowly to the goal, but another player put the ball in, not the one who ran into our goalie, and he did so after the whistle was blown. I'm not saying the ref should have blown his whistle, he should have played advantage, however once you blow the whistle, the play is dead, you can't score a goal after that point. Had he not blown the whistle, the goal would have stood and the keeper would have probably only gotten a yellow card, so the game would have been much different, especially given how many chances Grinnell had in the first 15 minutes.

Second, your opinion that until late in the game #7 wasn't a factor is completely irrelevant when deciding whether or not a penalty should be given. You're entitled to your belief he wasn't a factor until then, although I disagree with it, but if referees though, "Oh, he hasn't really had any chances until now, it's OK for the defender to climb over his back and push him over, he's earned it" soccer would be a much different game. I was about 5 yards from #7 at that point, and he jumped, brought the ball down on his chest, #19 on Ripon NEVER got a touch to the ball, and in his attempt to win the header, jumps on #7's back, and pushes him down to the ground, definitely a penalty. #7 does not dive, nor does he fall easily, there is no doubt in my mind that the PK should have been given.

MRosenberg

Back to top Go down

Post by BenVA Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:47 pm

I don't dive or fall easily.
BenVA
BenVA
Semi-noobie

Back to top Go down

Post by Craigaldo Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:15 pm

First, Ben if you dive against us in the box I will personally go over to you and kick you in the nuts lol.

Second, im glad the conference tournament is being played at Carroll because the quality of officiating is usally very good.

Third, I will not comment on the Grinnell/Ripon game because I was not present but the officiating in the Grinnell/Carroll game was also terrible.

And I can see a Grinnell player "ambellishing" a foul in the box. Numerous occasions Grinnell players screamed when getting foulded and made it look a lot worse then it really was....
Craigaldo
Craigaldo
Resident Malcontent

Back to top Go down

Post by Craigaldo Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:17 pm

And people need to stop getting concerned with POW...who gives a **** lol.
Craigaldo
Craigaldo
Resident Malcontent

Back to top Go down

Post by BOMBER Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:30 pm

Says the guy that's never won one... Laughing
BOMBER
BOMBER
Bright Future

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:36 pm

BOMBER wrote:Says the guy that's never won one... Laughing

rl
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thechieftan Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:32 pm

Craigaldo wrote:First, Ben if you dive against us in the box I will personally go over to you and kick you in the nuts lol.

Second, im glad the conference tournament is being played at Carroll because the quality of officiating is usally very good.

Third, I will not comment on the Grinnell/Ripon game because I was not present but the officiating in the Grinnell/Carroll game was also terrible.

And I can see a Grinnell player "ambellishing" a foul in the box. Numerous occasions Grinnell players screamed when getting foulded and made it look a lot worse then it really was....

...becuase Carroll players would never "ambellish" when "foulded"

thechieftan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ollie Octagon Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:34 am

Grinnell - Should count Their Blessings - Christmas Comes Early Soccer-people-passing-out
Carroll players would never bend the rules. When will you learn that they are all saints and are perfect human beings.
Ollie Octagon
Ollie Octagon
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down