CA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» J10 cui bap
**Game of the WEEK** Carroll at Grinnell EmptyTue May 01, 2012 7:28 am by Mrblack0301

» F35
**Game of the WEEK** Carroll at Grinnell EmptyTue May 01, 2012 7:21 am by Mrblack0301

» Williams Sonoma - Up to 30% Off Entire Order
**Game of the WEEK** Carroll at Grinnell EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 am by kichiki

» New Balance 1870 Women’s Walking Shoes
**Game of the WEEK** Carroll at Grinnell EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 am by kichiki

» Crossover 2-Button Side Vent Plain Front Suit
**Game of the WEEK** Carroll at Grinnell EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:07 am by kichiki

» The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
**Game of the WEEK** Carroll at Grinnell EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:00 am by kichiki

» The Universe: The Mega Collection on Blu-ray
**Game of the WEEK** Carroll at Grinnell EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:00 am by kichiki

» Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
**Game of the WEEK** Carroll at Grinnell EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 4:59 am by kichiki

» Chessmaster Challenge for PC
**Game of the WEEK** Carroll at Grinnell EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 3:05 am by kichiki

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

**Game of the WEEK** Carroll at Grinnell

+4
BenVA
tosasoccer26
Ollie Octagon
Craigaldo
8 posters

Go down

**Game of the WEEK** Carroll at Grinnell Empty **Game of the WEEK** Carroll at Grinnell

Post by Craigaldo Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:09 pm

Carroll at Grinnell this saturday...predictions???
Craigaldo
Craigaldo
Resident Malcontent

http://www.geocities.com/graftonsoccer

Back to top Go down

**Game of the WEEK** Carroll at Grinnell Empty Re: **Game of the WEEK** Carroll at Grinnell

Post by Ollie Octagon Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:20 pm

Grinnell 0
Carroll 0

You heard it here first.
Ollie Octagon
Ollie Octagon
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

**Game of the WEEK** Carroll at Grinnell Empty Re: **Game of the WEEK** Carroll at Grinnell

Post by tosasoccer26 Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:22 pm

carroll over grinnell
2-1

tosasoccer26

Back to top Go down

Post by BenVA Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:29 pm

I think Carroll scores first and grinnell has to open up. 3-1 and grinnells goal comes late.
BenVA
BenVA
Semi-noobie

Back to top Go down

Post by carter Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:22 pm

Carroll 2
Grinnell 0
carter
carter
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by Ollie Octagon Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:37 pm

Grinnell's flat four will be an interesting match up against Carroll. I like that they all bring size and the two times I saw them, they did a nice job getting nearly everyone behind the ball, then attacking quickly the other way.

I was never impressed with Grinnell's possession but if they realize they are walking into a game that does not mandate superior possession, then they will be fine. With as good as the results have been for Carroll, they make come in overconfident and find themselves neck deep in a dog fight late in the game. Grinnell's game against St. Norbert proved they have what it takes to dance with the top teams, this should be a really great game, I hope I can get out and see it live.
Ollie Octagon
Ollie Octagon
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

**Game of the WEEK** Carroll at Grinnell Empty Carroll vs Grinnell

Post by noworries Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:55 pm

Carroll-1 Grinnell-1

IMO. I figure both teams to use the first half to feel each other out, evaluating what’s working and what is not. The game may come down to adjustments and who plays the smarter game. On occasion, in an evenly matched game, it is the team that plays better between the ears, that comes out victorious.

I have a gut feeling (nothing to back this up) that bench play may have an affect on the game.

Grinnell gets the edge for non-conference schedule (comes into this game battle tested) and home field advantage. Carroll gets the edge for offensive and midfield play.
May be in the area, will try to catch the game.

FACTORS Carroll/Grinnell

Coaching Even
Offense Carroll
Defense Grinnell
Midfield Carroll
Strength of Schedule Grinnell
Goal Tending Even
Home Field Advantag Grinnell

But what do I know anyway????? Good Luck to both teams.

noworries

Back to top Go down

Post by Craigaldo Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:35 pm

Carroll is 3rd in the Nation in shutout percentage with getting 10 shutouts in 13 games.

Carroll hasnt even given up a conference goal yet...Grinnelll as given up 5

So I disagree with Grinnell having the better defense...

Goal tending even?? Stas is the returning first team goalkeeper and IMO the best goalie I have seen/played against at the collegiate level....Thats including goalies I have seen at UWM/Marquette/and numerous other D1 schools....I think people on here will back my opinion.

I agree Grinnell has had the harder Strenght of Schedule

But tomorrow we will see who comes to play.....

and about the not giving up a conference goal...I knocked on wood Smile
Craigaldo
Craigaldo
Resident Malcontent

Back to top Go down

Post by Ollie Octagon Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:11 pm

I'm not sure if you have seen Grinnell play yet but they do have a very stout defense. I'm sure Carroll's is also strong but you have to understand, Grinnell does not do a great job of possessing which puts pressure on their defense constantly.

What I'm say is, Carroll has put up some great defensive stats but Grinnell may have the better back four or five defenders. As in most sports, soccer has many variables that define their stats. You can't just take one stat (shut outs) and say it's a great defense. Although I would be a fool to think shut outs are not an important stat.

Lastly, since when does agreement on a message board make someone right? Come on now. Dig into that Carroll education and tell me that isn't your sole ground for leverage.
Ollie Octagon
Ollie Octagon
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

**Game of the WEEK** Carroll at Grinnell Empty Craig - Battle of the Two best Team in the Conference

Post by noworries Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:36 am

Sorry St. Norberts, but at this point in the season, this is how I see it. But, the playoffs start a new season.

Also; I can not beleive this, but I am in total agreement with Ollie and his post was intelligent and accurate.

Craig

Grinnell's strenght of schedule in my opinion is an important factor. Strenght of schedule is not always the tell-all of what a team is made of or which team is a better team. However, it does give real credability to Grinnells defense and to their goalie. They have had to play some very soild non-conference teams (3 or 4 may have been ranked??) and as we know any conference match-up usually brings out a little more effort from teams.

I am not sure that your shutout numbers would be as good if Carroll had played the same schedule and the only real challenge I have seen was UW-Whitewater. This being said though, teams have to play the schedule that is set and Carroll has done this and in a very impressive fashion. Carrolls offense is insync and Grinnell's defense will need to step-up once more. I take nothing away from Carroll, Your team is very solid and playing great team soccer.

Thats why I predict this game to be even and yes the game will come down to playing the game.

Maybe Carroll can tire-out Grinnell to give Ripon some very needed help on Sunday.

noworries

Back to top Go down

Post by BOMBER Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:49 pm

This just in via Craig: Carroll wins 2-1 in OT. Prentice scored with 9 minutes left, Grinnell equalized 6 minutes later, Andy Ksobiech scored 2 minutes into OT.

Neither school has the box score up yet, but sounds like it was a battle...
BOMBER
BOMBER
Bright Future

Back to top Go down

Post by carter Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:42 pm

Grinnell played great defense today and had a lot of opportunities. Without looking at the stats, I thought both schools had equal "good" opportunites but i'm guessing Carroll had the edge in shots...thanks largely to a good finish to the first half and a few stretches in the second half.

Notable players: Josh Feldkamp came in and was busting it up and down the field. He got in multiple situations where he was behind the defenders.

Doug Johnson got the another start in place of the injured Marc Hietpas and did a nice job. Platooning the position was fellow freshman Ryan Szescy. Neither scored or got assists but both were effective in putting pressure on Grinnell's solid back line.

Grinnell's keeper is a freak. He pulled two shots out of the air that looked destine for the back of the net. One shot by Adam Bruk was drilled from about 22 yards, when Schempfer (spelling?) not only blocked the shot but got both hands on it for a catch. Great game by all the backline players for GC.
carter
carter
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by Ollie Octagon Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:11 am

I caught most of the yesterday's game, only missing the first ten minutes. Grinnell came in giving up 1 goal per game and were possibly strutting the conferences best defense.

Two guys that jumped out at me were J.P. Prouty and Alex Exarhos. Prouty has to be the best player in the conference at winning head balls off of set pieces. With under five minutes left, down 1-0 Prouty buried a header from about ten yards out. He's a big player who always makes the big play, see their St. Norbert game.

Exarhos is almost always left alone to man the center of the field. He clogs space as well as any defender in conference and is superb at tackling in the open field. If he does not get some kind of conference awards, there is something wrong.

I am convinced that Andy Prentice is some kind of a witch or he has made a deal with the devil. His shot went about 15 feet in the air, coming down into the upper corner of the goal. How does a ball come down into the upper corner? I have no idea. Ask the witch doctor.

Great match Grinnell, you will see them again and get your result on Carroll's turf.
Ollie Octagon
Ollie Octagon
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by BOMBER Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:59 am

It's called knuckle, Ollie. Ever see Ronaldo take a free kick? Catch it right and the ball will dip. I'm not surprised by anything Prentice does anymore.

And Grinnell will NOT win at Carroll...I am fairly certain of that.
BOMBER
BOMBER
Bright Future

Back to top Go down

Post by Ollie Octagon Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:54 pm

You are "Grinnell will NOT win at Carroll...I am fairly certain of that." Contradictory and eloquent all at once.

Unless you saw tape of Prentice's shot, he did not drive the ball, it may have knuckled but it was a lofted shot that virtually came straight down. Great shot and even better touch.
Ollie Octagon
Ollie Octagon
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by Craigaldo Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:57 pm

Ollie, Prentice is a magician, seriously...
Craigaldo
Craigaldo
Resident Malcontent

Back to top Go down

Post by BenVA Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:02 pm

Hahah he still hasn't shown me one of his card tricks/bunny out of the hat abilities. Can we get a show at the confernece tourny this year
BenVA
BenVA
Semi-noobie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwight Schrute Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:20 pm

Ollie I have to say you change your tune about teams faster than anyone else I know. I remember last year I posted that Grinnell was a solid team in the Midwest Conference and you scoffed at that. And now you are sucking on Grinnell's manhood, I'm just really confused. I'm going to go ahead and quote you from last year, you can find it under the St. Norberts' Demise thread:

"Grinnell? Are you flipping kidding me? If you guys call them competition you might want to join a different sport. I've played against those scrubs in indoor on many occassions [sp]. If they were as concerened [sp] with the ball as they are about their hair, they'd be better off."

Pretty sure a team doesn't change all that much in a year. Do me a favor don't argue this because I can't stand to read your pitiful grammar/spelling. I really hope you didn't graduate from college because that would be embarrassing.
Dwight Schrute
Dwight Schrute
Semi-noobie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ollie Octagon Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:06 pm

I remember that post, I wish I had enough time to dig through year old posts but lets get to the issue.

I often mocked Grinnell last season. I thought they were overrated and had virtually no kind of attack, they were second in the league in shots and a distant third in goals. Mostly they bothered me because I thought they could be better.

This year is a different situation. I have only seen them play twice but I liked what I saw against Carroll. Despite playing five in the back for almost the entire game, they still generated a decent attack and finally got one to stick late in the second half. I realize they do not play the cleanest version of soccer, with all of their clearing and lack of possession, but they are entertaining to watch.

If you would like to look up former posts, why don't you ridicule me for picking Grinnell to win the conference in August of this year? I didn't see you pick anything and if you did, I am sure you would have picked your former school and not said anything to back it up.

Mock me all you like but I made my pick in 2009 and although they will not win the first spot in the conference through league play, they will more than likely be playing in the conference finals against a team you probably sat the bench on.
Ollie Octagon
Ollie Octagon
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down