CA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» J10 cui bap
St. Norbert Update EmptyTue May 01, 2012 7:28 am by Mrblack0301

» F35
St. Norbert Update EmptyTue May 01, 2012 7:21 am by Mrblack0301

» Williams Sonoma - Up to 30% Off Entire Order
St. Norbert Update EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 am by kichiki

» New Balance 1870 Women’s Walking Shoes
St. Norbert Update EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 am by kichiki

» Crossover 2-Button Side Vent Plain Front Suit
St. Norbert Update EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:07 am by kichiki

» The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
St. Norbert Update EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:00 am by kichiki

» The Universe: The Mega Collection on Blu-ray
St. Norbert Update EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:00 am by kichiki

» Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
St. Norbert Update EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 4:59 am by kichiki

» Chessmaster Challenge for PC
St. Norbert Update EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 3:05 am by kichiki

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

St. Norbert Update

+5
cpschult
Ollie Octagon
hack
Craigaldo
CA Bot
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

St. Norbert Update Empty St. Norbert Update

Post by CA Bot Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:13 pm

St. Norbert Update:
As expected, the Green Knights have yet another strong freshmen class. Despite coming into a team that is returning ten starters and two players off of major injuries from the 2008 season, there are four freshmen looking to get significant minutes this season.

Forward Sam Gordon from Pius (Milwaukee) is looking to be another complimentary player to an already strong offense. Look for Gordon to see minutes off of the bench or to spell Adam Sanchez for a few minutes in each half.

Two freshmen midfielders who may see action are Mark Bermish (Port Washington) and Wade Howard (Brother Rice). Both players have the skill set to play at the college level but still need to prove if their bodies can take the physical pounding from a very physical conference.

With St. Norbert already owning the league's best defense, goal keeper Nolan Pachetti (Marion Central) may soon inherit a dominating squad. Although his minutes will surely be limited in 2009, barring injury, Pachetti is the type of player you can build teams around.
The remaining four freshmen will fight for travel spots or perhaps limited action off of the bench but with a 25 man travel roster, it may be a very difficult lineup to crack.

CA Bot
Semi-noobie

Back to top Go down

St. Norbert Update Empty Re: St. Norbert Update

Post by Craigaldo Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:50 pm

Already owning the best defense LOL. Almsost choked on my food. I would take Stas and Ziegler over any sweeper/goalie combination in the conference and the state for that matter
Craigaldo
Craigaldo
Resident Malcontent

http://www.geocities.com/graftonsoccer

Back to top Go down

Post by hack Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:10 pm

I have to agree on that both of them from the Appleton Area can flat play. Hell Ziegler was a Div II recruit that didn't like the Parkside coach or he would be a starting Div II player. I forgot were stas went and didn't like but having played against him I know he is pretty freakin great.

hack
Semi-noobie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ollie Octagon Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:06 pm

Are you suggesting that entire defenses are made up of one or two players? I understand Carroll probably has decent players behind the two you mentioned but with Norbert giving up only 3 goals in conference last year, it's hard to pick against them.
Ollie Octagon
Ollie Octagon
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by Craigaldo Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:16 pm

As far as last year goes I think the coaches sided with Carroll. Hence Carroll had first team goalie and 3/4 all conference defenders.

He said St. Norberts already "owns" the defense in the conference. So I had share my honest opinion
Craigaldo
Craigaldo
Resident Malcontent

Back to top Go down

Post by Ollie Octagon Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:29 am

Craigaldo wrote:As far as last year goes I think the coaches sided with Carroll. Hence Carroll had first team goalie and 3/4 all conference defenders.

He said St. Norberts already "owns" the defense in the conference. So I had share my honest opinion

Do you think the coaches always choose the correct players for All Conference awards? I can't get through a single football season without wanting to vomit as to who gets selected in their all star games.

In the immortal words Ethan: "Your opinion is wrong."
Ollie Octagon
Ollie Octagon
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by Craigaldo Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:24 am

LOL idk where this topic is going. My overall point was just Carroll's defense > St. Norberts defense. Last year and this year.

And as far as football. I don't watch it and I never will so idk
Craigaldo
Craigaldo
Resident Malcontent

Back to top Go down

Post by cpschult Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:25 am

Ollie Octagon wrote:Are you suggesting that entire defenses are made up of one or two players? I understand Carroll probably has decent players behind the two you mentioned but with Norbert giving up only 3 goals in conference last year, it's hard to pick against them.

I'm sorry, If you've never played soccer I can understand why you wouldn't understand why having a great sweeper and goalie combo makes your defense so strong.

Carroll's 2nd best conference season (going undefeated 8-0-1) was with another great sweeper/goalie combo (me being the sweeper, we had freshman halfbacks). Pure atheleticism allowed Smith and I to contol the middle of the field. Because the sweeper is basically the general on the field directing people where to go, I was able to control where players were directed. Only allowing them to take shots from waay, waay out, or stealing the ball if they dared to come inside. And Smith being the athlete that he was, saving almost every freakin' shot.

Now I think that Stas may be a better goalie than Smith was, it's very hard to make that comparison, but I have seen Stas make the same kind of mind and back bending saves that only a monkey should be able to make. I've never seen Ziegler play, but listening to drago (and from what Hack has said), it seems that he's a premo athlete. That generally means that the middle of the field in front of the goal is dominated... we will find out as the season goes on, but if Stas isn't the best goalie in the conference (and region) I will be very surprised.
cpschult
cpschult
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by cpschult Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:31 am

Ollie Octagon wrote:

Do you think the coaches always choose the correct players for All Conference awards? I can't get through a single football season without wanting to vomit as to who gets selected in their all star games.

In the immortal words Ethan: "Your opinion is wrong."

I'm sorry, are you equating football to soccer? There are 22 less positions that receive awards... I believe that the best players on a soccer field stand out. For the most part the BEST soccer players at their positions WILL receive all conference (it's pretty ****ing obvious).

There are 10 teams in the midwest conference... what errors do you think the coaches made last year in their selections? Or are we just speaking in generalities here?
cpschult
cpschult
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by carter Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:45 pm

Three words:

Nate Lembke-Windler

I don't care to look but how many years did this guy get first team all conference as opposed to how many years he should have? He's been a staple of the Carroll defense but because he doesn't get a lot of assists (Pease, Bram), he tends to get overlooked.

I sort of agree with ollie in that all conference is largely name based and school based.
carter
carter
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldman Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:59 pm

Two words : Andy Prentice

Leading scorer in the conference in 2007, tied for second in 2008, 1st in conference in game winning goals 2007, 2008. Big games - Conference tournement Beloit 2006, 2 goals, Conference tournement St Norbert 2007, 1 goal, 1 assist, 2008 - games, Whitewater, 2 goals, Oshhosh 2 goals, Wittenburg NACC tournement 2 goals.

Oldman

Back to top Go down

Post by cpschult Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:10 pm

carter wrote:Three words:

Nate Lembke-Windler

I don't care to look but how many years did this guy get first team all conference as opposed to how many years he should have? He's been a staple of the Carroll defense but because he doesn't get a lot of assists (Pease, Bram), he tends to get overlooked.

I sort of agree with ollie in that all conference is largely name based and school based.

I don't like him. I was never impressed with him. That being said, I didn't see him in his final two years at Carroll. And I still don't understand why you have a hard on for him!

And I still disagree that all conference is name/player based. If anything it is based on the team with a winning record. But generally players who stand out win awards. Hell, who was the guy from Ripon who was first team all conference and won conference player of the year when ripon wasn't even in top 5 for conference? Becker maybe?
cpschult
cpschult
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by cpschult Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:11 pm

Oldman wrote:Two words : Andy Prentice

Leading scorer in the conference in 2007, tied for second in 2008, 1st in conference in game winning goals 2007, 2008. Big games - Conference tournement Beloit 2006, 2 goals, Conference tournement St Norbert 2007, 1 goal, 1 assist, 2008 - games, Whitewater, 2 goals, Oshhosh 2 goals, Wittenburg NACC tournement 2 goals.
Uh, isn't this an argument about defense and all conference? =D
cpschult
cpschult
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by Ollie Octagon Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:47 pm

Becker had 14 conference goals in 2004, next best was 7. Becker made first team all conference off of straight production but what would have happened had he been a defender? With no statistics to back him up, on a bad team? He may have just been another conference defender.

Because Becker played a position that can be based on statistics, he makes all conference.

As for Prentice; he has made two second team all conference teams but you are correct in thinking he should have been more. In 2007, Fred Schneider got double digit goals bounced off of him, it's tough for two forwards from the same team to land first team honors.

It is a hose job that strengthens my point: the best players do not always win the all conference awards.
Ollie Octagon
Ollie Octagon
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by cpschult Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:34 am

Ollie Octagon wrote:Becker had 14 conference goals in 2004, next best was 7. Becker made first team all conference off of straight production but what would have happened had he been a defender? With no statistics to back him up, on a bad team? He may have just been another conference defender.

Because Becker played a position that can be based on statistics, he makes all conference.

As for Prentice; he has made two second team all conference teams but you are correct in thinking he should have been more. In 2007, Fred Schneider got double digit goals bounced off of him, it's tough for two forwards from the same team to land first team honors.

It is a hose job that strengthens my point: the best players do not always win the all conference awards.

This doesn't validate your argument at all. How do you suppose JJ Gutman was selected as Conference Player of the Year as a defender? He had no statistics.. I truly believe that good playes STAND out on the field, even if they play for a bad team. If Becker played defense he would have been all conference, the guy was a ****ing stud (He was the basketball conference player of the year as well [not a good point to argueLOL]).

Derek Marie was first team all conference and had .44 assists per game in the '08 season. How do you suppose he was selected to first team? Probably because he is one of the most dangerous players on the field (even though his statstics don't show it).

There were all conference players from every team in the conference last year, that also negates your argument about only certain teams receiving all conference awards. That goes to show that they do reward good players on bad teams (****ing)!

The only argument you might win with me, is that seniors receive preference over underclassmen, even juniors (for first team selection). I really don't know how much arguing goes around about seniors receiving awards when they do the voting for this.

Your arguments aren't well thought out, at least well reasoned. The Midwest conference isn't the SEC where people can not agree on who should be all conference. Not every player in the Midwest is a stud. There are a lot of bad players, but there are a lot of good players. That's why it's easy to select the ones who are outstanding for awards.
cpschult
cpschult
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by cpschult Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:56 am

Oldman wrote:Two words : Andy Prentice

LOL, check your numbers oldman.

In '07 Fred Schneider led the league in scoring, Andy Prentice was second. In '08 Prentice was down to number five (with two other CU players in front of him). In '07 Prentice was tied with four other people with 2 game winners (for first). In '08 Prentice was tied for THIRD with three game winning goals.

I wouldn't know about the big games, but since you padded his stats already, I'm going to guess that he didn't even play in those games.
cpschult
cpschult
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldman Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:44 am

Look at " All games" statistics not just "conference games" statistics. As to the big games just read the Carroll Press Releases

Oldman

Back to top Go down

Post by cpschult Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:47 am

Yeah I can understand why non conference victories would be attributed to conference awards.

And how does he relate to St. Norberts, or the question of Carroll's D vs Norberts? Because if you are talking about MIDWEST CONFERENCE AWARDS, see above.

Non conference games can be used to validate awards such as all state, or all region (of which all region is the premo), but they cannot be used to validate an argument based on all conference!
cpschult
cpschult
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldman Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:05 am

" What errors do think the coaches made last year in their selections" Wasn't that your question?

Oldman

Back to top Go down

Post by carter Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:39 am

cpschult wrote:
Ollie Octagon wrote:Becker had 14 conference goals in 2004, next best was 7. Becker made first team all conference off of straight production but what would have happened had he been a defender? With no statistics to back him up, on a bad team? He may have just been another conference defender.

This doesn't validate your argument at all. How do you suppose JJ Gutman was selected as Conference Player of the Year as a defender? He had no statistics.. I truly believe that good playes STAND out on the field, even if they play for a bad team. If Becker played defense he would have been all conference, the guy was a ****ing stud (He was the basketball conference player of the year as well [not a good point to argueLOL]).

Derek Marie was first team all conference and had .44 assists per game in the '08 season. How do you suppose he was selected to first team? Probably because he is one of the most dangerous players on the field (even though his statstics don't show it).

There were all conference players from every team in the conference last year, that also negates your argument about only certain teams receiving all conference awards. That goes to show that they do reward good players on bad teams (****ing)!

The only argument you might win with me, is that seniors receive preference over underclassmen, even juniors (for first team selection). I really don't know how much arguing goes around about seniors receiving awards when they do the voting for this.

Your arguments aren't well thought out, at least well reasoned. The Midwest conference isn't the SEC where people can not agree on who should be all conference. Not every player in the Midwest is a stud. There are a lot of bad players, but there are a lot of good players. That's why it's easy to select the ones who are outstanding for awards.

You are talking about a ton of parity in this conference. The really good players do stand out, Derek was clearly one of them but the example of Lembke-Windler is a good point. It took until his senior year to finally get first team honors.
carter
carter
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by cpschult Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:04 pm

dude, i really don't like him, find another reference or you lack cred with me!
cpschult
cpschult
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by carter Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:40 pm

You have a strange opinion of him. Nate was as good as anyone i'd ever seen at being in the right spaces. He always made counter attacks difficult and was tough to body up on headers and balls at his feet.

He's always been an all conference caliber player. Another example would have been Klugie...no points but was one of the best tacklers i'd ever played with or against.
carter
carter
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

St. Norbert Update Empty All this talk about who is the best and being noticed??

Post by noworries Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:39 pm

Everyone has raised valid points and when an honor such as Conference Player of the year is awarded to one individual; all these points may come into play. Since there is no set criteria, coaches can base their vote indiscriminately, with each using different decisive factors. Thus one year someone may receive the honor based on stats alone, ability, a combination of ability and stats, Team Record, popularity/reputation, etc. . I am sure you can where this is headed. Yes at times someone maybe overlooked, not even given a chance based on team affiliation or on the flipside more credibility based on team affiliation. This post could be never ending, since all that was posted are accurate and no preset criteria has been set.

Being a member of the coaching fraternity, it’s more important of what type of team are we. Character, integrity and sportsmanship should always take precedence over individual accomplishments. A previous poster talked about how well he and his goalie worked as a team and was the reason for their defense success. However, in regards to this defensive successfulness, no two individuals can take credit alone. Defenses are a team within a team made up of no fewer than four members (including the goalie) that have to work as a cohesive group. Your best defenses of history past knew each other well and could anticipate the reaction of one another.

I read an article once of a High School football coach from a small town in Kansas and his coaching philosophy. Coach Barta had compiled a 289-58 record, 8 state championships and 67 consecutive victories and has seen players go on to collegiate and professional success. In high school football, it is the longest streak in the Nation. Here is how he addresses his players the first day of practice each year.

Life lessons that people consider his greatest strengths;
“Someone here is the best player on the team, and someone is the worst, it’s time to forget about that. Let’s respect each other. When we respect each other, we’ll like each other. When we like each other, we’ll love each other. That’s when, together, we’ll become champions.

We all can learn from one another,throughout the years I have tried to learn from other great coaches, in the hopes that my influence upon athletes is positive, value based and that each and every player felt they were as important to the team as the person standing next to them.

This being said, the MWC has many good coaches, however, Ripon has a new coach and if they can win more games, it will probably be more due to last years players field experience, than the coaching (i know that was a tough statement) . But that’s for another post.

Gotta Love the Futbol.

noworries

Back to top Go down

Post by Craigaldo Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:16 pm

All great points. LOL I think we should start a new thread cause this was the St. Norberts update LOL. I think this year will be interesting with pretty much all MWC teams having young talent. I wanna know who were the 3 coaches besides Mobley to vote for St. Norberts Smile
Craigaldo
Craigaldo
Resident Malcontent

Back to top Go down

Post by hack Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:20 pm

This being said, the MWC has many good coaches, however, Ripon has a new coach and if they can win more games, it will probably be more due to last years players field experience, than the coaching (i know that was a tough statement) . But that’s for another post.

Mr. No worries,
I am wondering if this statement goes for the lake forrest's coach and Knox's coach. Your (I know that was a tough statement) kinda confuses me. You got something against the Ripon Coach? I've played against there Coach in some indoor games and he seems to have some pretty good skills and knowledge of the game.

hack
Semi-noobie

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldman Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:06 am

cpschult wrote:Yeah I can understand why non conference victories would be attributed to conference awards.

And how does he relate to St. Norberts, or the question of Carroll's D vs Norberts? Because if you are talking about MIDWEST CONFERENCE AWARDS, see above.

Non conference games can be used to validate awards such as all state, or all region (of which all region is the premo), but they cannot be used to validate an argument based on all conference!

When conference awards are named by the conference why does the press release contain "all games" statistics and not the "conference stats" if as you say the awards can be validated only based on conference games?

Oldman

Back to top Go down

Post by cpschult Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:34 am

Oldman wrote:
cpschult wrote:Yeah I can understand why non conference victories would be attributed to conference awards.

When conference awards are named by the conference why does the press release contain "all games" statistics and not the "conference stats" if as you say the awards can be validated only based on conference games?

I'm sorry but awarding conference awards based off of non conference games makes no sense, non, zip, zero. Think about it, the only teams involved in the all conference selection are the 10 coaches in the Midwest Conference. If you can explain to me how coaches who aren't in the Midwest Conference are able to affect the vote for the conference awards, maybe you'd have an arguement.

I imagine they include all game statistics because it looks more impressive than if they only include the 9 to 11 conference games played. I wouldn't know, if you'd like I could e-mail the Midwest Conference soccer information head and ask them. Maybe we can fix the misinformation trend.

Now, understand this, I've played against Prentice at captains practices and I think he was one of the best players there. I'm not saying he is bad, because he is ****ing good, but from what I understand of the all conference ballots, is coaches vote for players. I will agree with an unnamed source that he is way better than Fred (sorry fred you fatass), but I haven't seen him in conference action, the coaches that saw him play voted him to where he was. Now I've heard that he is one of the most clutch players for Carroll, but once again, where in conference action?
cpschult
cpschult
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by cpschult Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:45 am

noworries wrote:

Being a member of the coaching fraternity, it’s more important of what type of team are we. Character, integrity and sportsmanship should always take precedence over individual accomplishments.

I agree, once you hit the field non of this matters. But to be honest, I'd rather have a player with good feet, speed, and a team player than that integrity and character crap.

Because I think someone yelling 0-6, 0-6 at the football team is awesome.

PS - in regards to the other comment about the defense being 4 players, hell, why limit the defense to 4 players? We had berry, JJ, miller, me, karl and smith (crap, who were the outside backs?) who were all willing to bust ass to get back behind the ball. Part of the reason we were so successful is we were all so competitive, and like you mentioned, for the most part, we knew exactly what each other was going to do.
cpschult
cpschult
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldman Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:19 am

cpschult wrote:
Oldman wrote:

I'm sorry but awarding conference awards based off of non conference games makes no sense, non, zip, zero. Think about it, the only teams involved in the all conference selection are the 10 coaches in the Midwest Conference. If you can explain to me how coaches who aren't in the Midwest Conference are able to affect the vote for the conference awards, maybe you'd have an arguement.

I imagine they include all game statistics because it looks more impressive than if they only include the 9 to 11 conference games played. I wouldn't know, if you'd like I could e-mail the Midwest Conference soccer information head and ask them. Maybe we can fix the misinformation trend.

Now, understand this, I've played against Prentice at captains practices and I think he was one of the best players there. I'm not saying he is bad, because he is ****ing good, but from what I understand of the all conference ballots, is coaches vote for players. I will agree with an unnamed source that he is way better than Fred (sorry fred you fatass), but I haven't seen him in conference action, the coaches that saw him play voted him to where he was. Now I've heard that he is one of the most clutch players for Carroll, but once again, where in conference action?

Enough said -

Oldman

Back to top Go down

Post by cpschult Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:40 am

Oldman wrote:

Enough said -

glad to have you with us oldman

welcome to the site
cpschult
cpschult
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

St. Norbert Update Empty Coaches MWC - Mr Hack

Post by noworries Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:31 pm

Mr. Hack
My response about the coaching had nothing to do with the other two new coaches in the MWC Conference. It was isolated to Ripon’s soccer situation. I feel that the MWC has fine coaches and I am not familiar with the new coaches for Lake Forest or Knox. However, I know of the new Ripon Coach.

All coaches have a different, approach, style and background and all were first time or new coaches to a team at some point. Some of the more common mistakes of newer coaches are as follows (this is not all encompassing to all coaching situations);

Formulate opinions of new and past players - based on what others say
 Assign a recently graduated player as assistant - This can be harmful or very good depending on the individual. Very slippery slope here, be careful.
 Starting recruits prematurely – Some coaches fall into this trap for various reasons, one because they recruited them and they feel this qualifies their decision or they have prejudged someone based on first bullet point, etc. This does not necessarily mean a new recruit is qualified to start.
 Assigning a new recruit as team captain – I have seen this be destructive, even if an individual has the necessary qualities, he should earn it first with their conduct on and off the field.
Please do not read this as absolutes, just common mistakes I have seen over the years. They tend to be more prevalent in the D3 community when a new coach is hired from the schools geographical area.
In response to your question of Ripon’s soccer coach; I know of him and have seen him interact with players at various levels. These are only my opinions, but I am not a fan of is character, coaching style,
Is somewhat immature, is not the best judge of talent and talks more about is past heroics than focusing on his players. Good coaches, are able to see raw talent in any given player and will foster and work with them to be a valuable part of the team. Coaches at the D3 level need to have this quality more so than at higher levels. These are only my personal observations and opinions, but I would be disappointed if my son had to play for him. Just one persons view. Good luck to all. I am working my soccer viewing this season to catch about 3 of Ripon’s games.

noworries

Back to top Go down

Post by tosasoccer26 Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:57 pm

CA Bot wrote:St. Norbert Update:

Forward Sam Gordon from Pius (Milwaukee) is looking to be another complimentary player to an already strong offense. Look for Gordon to see minutes off of the bench or to spell Adam Sanchez for a few minutes in each half.

I watched Gordon in high school and played against him for club a couple times, hes a solid player but is very injury prone. If he gets hurt look for him to be out for most of the season.

tosasoccer26

Back to top Go down

Post by cpschult Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:17 pm

noworries wrote:In response to your question of Ripon’s soccer coach; I know of him and have seen him interact with players at various levels. These are only my opinions, but I am not a fan of is character, coaching style,
Is somewhat immature, is not the best judge of talent and talks more about is past heroics than focusing on his players.

Have you seen him coach in a college situation? Ripons 3-14-1 record is going to be hard not to improve on. Yes, having experienced players will make his transition easier, but those same players were 3-14-1 last year!! What sort of experiences do you think they got from those games?

I don't know why the previous coach left, but I think whatever was going on at Ripon wasn't working. So if his style (not your prefered style) works, on any level, it is a sign of improvement for their program.
cpschult
cpschult
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by carter Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:17 pm

tosasoccer26 wrote:
CA Bot wrote:St. Norbert Update:

I watched Gordon in high school and played against him for club a couple times, hes a solid player but is very injury prone. If he gets hurt look for him to be out for most of the season.

I always find it hard to label a guy 'injury prone' but i know where you are coming from. Plenty of guys think a hit on the ankle is life threatening and spend the next two weeks in a the training room...So i don't know if i can call that person 'injury prone', maybe just a sissy? Laughing

I'm just kidding, some guys really do attract the harsh injuries (see chad pennington) but college is a new start on so many levels. Maybe Gordon will turn a corner?

How's ripon coming along?
carter
carter
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by carter Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:44 pm

noworries wrote:Mr. Hack
My response about the coaching had nothing to do with the other two new coaches in the MWC Conference. It was isolated to Ripon’s soccer situation. I feel that the MWC has fine coaches and I am not familiar with the new coaches for Lake Forest or Knox. However, I know of the new Ripon Coach.

All coaches have a different, approach, style and background and all were first time or new coaches to a team at some point. Some of the more common mistakes of newer coaches are as follows (this is not all encompassing to all coaching situations);

Formulate opinions of new and past players - based on what others say
 Assign a recently graduated player as assistant - This can be harmful or very good depending on the individual. Very slippery slope here, be careful.
 Starting recruits prematurely – Some coaches fall into this trap for various reasons, one because they recruited them and they feel this qualifies their decision or they have prejudged someone based on first bullet point, etc. This does not necessarily mean a new recruit is qualified to start.
 Assigning a new recruit as team captain – I have seen this be destructive, even if an individual has the necessary qualities, he should earn it first with their conduct on and off the field.
Please do not read this as absolutes, just common mistakes I have seen over the years. They tend to be more prevalent in the D3 community when a new coach is hired from the schools geographical area.
In response to your question of Ripon’s soccer coach; I know of him and have seen him interact with players at various levels. These are only my opinions, but I am not a fan of is character, coaching style,
Is somewhat immature, is not the best judge of talent and talks more about is past heroics than focusing on his players. Good coaches, are able to see raw talent in any given player and will foster and work with them to be a valuable part of the team. Coaches at the D3 level need to have this quality more so than at higher levels. These are only my personal observations and opinions, but I would be disappointed if my son had to play for him. Just one persons view. Good luck to all. I am working my soccer viewing this season to catch about 3 of Ripon’s games.

Great points. I haven't seen a new recruit (i'm implying frosh, not transfers) assigned the captain band but if it did happen, that would be a problem. Also, DIII is almost more about developing talent that it is acbout recruiting talent. There are plenty of examples disproving this but the successful programs tend to have there few recruited studs but then fill out the roster with diamonds in the rough, so to speak.

Where did you see the Rippon coach before? I thought he was from Tennessee?
carter
carter
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

St. Norbert Update Empty Diamonds in the Rough

Post by noworries Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:58 pm

He is a native of the Madison area, who previously worked in the Mount Hereby Soccer Club and was the coach at UW – Fox Valley. Coached with the Fox Valley Unified soccer Club, out of Appleton. I believe he started coaching at UW-Fox Valley in 2006 and received the WCC coach of the year one time. If I remember he played his younger years for the Yahara Soccer Club.
Carter, your Diamond in the Rough analogy is exactly on point. Good coaches at the D3 level need to cultivate these diamonds if they wish to stay atop of the conference and draw more quality recruits. Some players have great Forward presence, others are born Defenders, Ball control/distributing skills or blessed with speed. I have seen very good coaches turn players into a more all around player by focusing on the positives of these individuals. Berating players, gifted with raw talent, and casting them aside usually makes for a short coaching stent.
Cpschult asked if I had seen him coach at the college level and what positives do playing experience help Ripon. First, Yes I have. I will address your second question as if I had inherited a team in Ripon’s situation. As a new coach having players who have played many games together, builds cohesiveness and more important a collective awareness of how your teammates react, their tendencies, strengths and weaknesses. When practices begin you do not have much time to build this and it usually takes a season to get it together. Also in my limited exposure to Ripon, they have better than average team speed and if the defense stays intact (which was their strongest aspect last Year) they can stay in games. I have always built from the defense to the forward positions and in reality every position needs to have defensive skills to allow for a slower transitional attack by your opponent. My remark of coaching style was more in-line with demeanor and behavior.

“Character is how you act or conduct yourself when no ones looking”

As I have previously mentioned, I have had to reschedule my scouting of games in this conference to add a couple more games of Ripons. You need to consider that there may be a few diamonds in the rough wanting to leave Ripon next season regardless of a successful season. I would really hope that there would be a metamorphosis of this individual and that this opinion of a possible exodus would not come to fruition. Once again this is only one mans opinion.
Season openers are around the corner. Good luck to all athletes and stay healthy. Hit the Books.

noworries

Back to top Go down

Post by Craigaldo Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:36 pm

Anybody got any update on Lawrence. From what I remember they lost 3 pretty solid players from last year. They have any recruits cause I feel this will be more of a rebuilding year for them.
Craigaldo
Craigaldo
Resident Malcontent

Back to top Go down

Post by hack Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:44 pm

Mr. No Worries,
I checked out a little about Mr. Gordon. He was a three year coach at UW Fox with a 28-17-2 record about a .600 winning percentage. He was director of Coaching for Mt Horeb Soccer Club. He was voted as the coach of the year for his conference, last year after going 14-2-1. He won the conference championship, won the Fond du lac tournament, whatever that is and finished second in State. His team scored 65 goals in 17 games. All of that looks pretty impressive to me. The thing I find most impressive though is the fact that his players have followed him to Ripon.
Kyle Seemeyer, who was an all area player, in high school, for Neenah and played for probably the greatest coach in Wisconsin, Harry Kelderman followed him to Ripon. Seemeyer according to the www.uwfox.uwc.edu website was the athlete of the year for Fox. The other player that followed him was Joe Drexler, who was a high school all state player in 2007 and played for Tom Wannamaker, who is the director of coaching for Neenah club soccer and the Appleton east coach, also very solid. Matt Stori, who played at UW Fox last year, went to Viterbo.
My point being that whatever your opinion of him, you seem to be glazing over the fact that he has had some success the last for years for sure. I think the biggest compliment a coach can have is that players follow him because they want to play for him.
His incoming transfers look like solid players. Jeff teigen I remeber from 2 years ago for North was a pretty good player. He scored twice in the H.S. All Star game and duffed his chance for a hat trick. Vince Butitta I remeber from Lawrence he was there two years ago and seemed to be a very promising, I think he was a MWC conference player of the week as a freshman. He also got a very nice write up in the Madisonsoccer.com website playing for the NPSL 56er team this summer.
I don't know about giving out Captain's arm bands to Freshman or transfers but a lot teams give out captain's bands to new incoming players. Beckham for LA got it, a lot of Hockey teams give out the "C" or "A" to many players. It isn't always a great idea but it isn't unheard of. But I couldn't find out who the Captains where for Ripon, not on there website.
The hiring of a recently graduated player usually spells disaster so not a good move on that front. and his student asst coach was on the team last year but isn't playing this year, not sure why.

This all being said you want to go to his games and scout his players for them to leave.
I have to call into question as to why you feel he is such a bad coach. It seems personnel.

hack
Semi-noobie

Back to top Go down

Post by hack Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:54 pm

On the Lawrence Front,
They have the same problem they had last year, scoring goals. there defense looks to be pretty solid with Nico and Frett in the back and a Solid keeper coming back. Exharos returns as the leading points gettter but no one lese really seems to be there to help him. This team will win with solid defense and great coaching.
I think Blake Johnson is the best coach in the Conference at probably the hardest school to recruit in. The tri-mester thing is annoying for students and it cuts down on there vacation time. Wil Greer, who coaches my children in the Soccer Club here is a phenominal coach, is the asst coach there. If they recruited any goal scores they should be back in the conference tournament.

hack
Semi-noobie

Back to top Go down

St. Norbert Update Empty Coaches, Recruits,Stats - Mr. Hack

Post by noworries Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:34 pm

Let me start by stating that I did not glaze over The success of Ripons new soccer coach. I supplied all the neccessary info, so if on chose to look further they could do so on their own. I mentioned his stent at UW-Fox Valley and his coach of the year award. To mention all the numbers is not needed, since anyone can reasearch themselves.

The bullet points of common mistakes of newer coaches was informational, for one do with what they wish. I have no idea what Ripon or any other MWC Team has done or will do.

I am not a big "Me" person, when one enters the coaching field, it should be for the love of the sport, to try to better your players athletically and as a person and when your career is done, that you have left a path that is good and honorable.

Since you did some investigating, I called in a favor. Ripons student coach Mitch Brouse, is a returning soph player who is injuried, last year defender krause is also injuried and they tied the alumni 3 to 3.

I have no personal vendetta against Ripons new coach, but know more than is appropriate to share and I am not a fan. I wish Ripon and all MWC Teams a sucessful season. This forum should be fun and positive and I will not respond on this subject any further.

Gotta Luv The Futbol.

noworries

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next