CA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» J10 cui bap
Carroll's 08 preview----- EmptyTue May 01, 2012 7:28 am by Mrblack0301

» F35
Carroll's 08 preview----- EmptyTue May 01, 2012 7:21 am by Mrblack0301

» Williams Sonoma - Up to 30% Off Entire Order
Carroll's 08 preview----- EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 am by kichiki

» New Balance 1870 Women’s Walking Shoes
Carroll's 08 preview----- EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 am by kichiki

» Crossover 2-Button Side Vent Plain Front Suit
Carroll's 08 preview----- EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:07 am by kichiki

» The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
Carroll's 08 preview----- EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:00 am by kichiki

» The Universe: The Mega Collection on Blu-ray
Carroll's 08 preview----- EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:00 am by kichiki

» Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
Carroll's 08 preview----- EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 4:59 am by kichiki

» Chessmaster Challenge for PC
Carroll's 08 preview----- EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 3:05 am by kichiki

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Carroll's 08 preview-----

+3
Dwight Schrute
Ollie Octagon
drago
7 posters

Go down

Carroll's 08 preview----- Empty Carroll's 08 preview-----

Post by drago Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:46 am

I forgot to post this one...

I am interested to see how this team plays. I hope it isn't a case of having 'too much talent'.

Thanks Kim...
------------------------------
By: Kim Deal
Carroll College Season Preview
July 12, 2008

Carroll College...oh wait, my apologies, since the summer of 2008, “Carroll University” has been like a snow ball rolling down hill since 1999 when Rick Mobley took over the Men’s program. He has turned it from the conference laughing stock to a conference contender. He seems to be one of the few coaches who realizes what it takes to win at the Division III level: a solid defense with one very good sweeper back and a solid scorer or two, the rest does not need to be anything but role players and ball winners.

In 2007 he had the most well rounded team of his tenure, evident by their second place conference finish and NCAA tournament bid by winning the four team conference tournament. One of the greater qualities that Carroll possesses is that you cannot qualify the team as young or old. They have a solid mix of classes amongst their starters (one freshman, three sophomores, five juniors, and two seniors) and bench players.

Carroll is returning all but two starters from a year ago. The problem is one of those starters is the reigning Midwest Conference Player of the Year: JJ Gutman. The lone weak spot Carroll had in their 2007 campaign was their defensive marking.

Fortunately for them, they play in a conference that literally gives them three wins with an additional three wins that are barely worth breaking a sweat. When push came to shove only one or two teams in the conference could exploit Carroll’s weakness and even they had a hard time doing so. The two returning starters worth noting are Bram Daelemans and Nate Lembke-Windler; although neither player has a great work rate, both players are excellent in terms of ball control, evident by Daelemans’ eight assists last year.

The offensive attack is largely based on their outside midfielders. Carroll is a not a team that will score in a set offense, their goals tend to come strictly from counter attacks or from a scrum in the 18 yard area. They are proficient in their counter attacks because of their tremendous outside midfielders: Dona Lado and Alex Goranson. Both players hold records at Carroll for assists and are extremely fast up the sidelines. Goranson holds the school record in assists for a season (nine) and Lado holds the school record for assists in a career (twenty). Look for both players to change those records once again in 2008.

Their central midfield, although very weak on defense, makes up for their lack of drive with tremendous ball skills. Derek Marie is the class of this unit along with Craig Carlson; both players are great in the attack and rarely give up the ball. Of the multiple games that I watched, their weakness comes with having absolutely no desire to play defense at any point in the game.

There will be an interesting preseason battle for the forward position opposite, Andy Prentice. Having graduated Fred Schneider, the team will be looking for someone to step up in the role of “finisher” for the barrage of crosses coming from Goranson and Lado. It looks to me that it will be one of two players Jonathan Rogers or David Hansen. They are both going to be seniors and will itching to increase their limited playing time from the years prior. There does not appear to be a true benefit to selecting either player, Hansen tends to be more accurate but much slower in terms of sprinting. While Rogers is much faster, he also tends to play very erratic and may not be the finisher Mobley will be
looking for.

Given that Carroll plays in the Midwest Conference they are almost assured a tournament bid by just showing up to half of their games. It’s what they do in the other half of their games that will show whether or not this team, composed of virtually all offense, can be the best team to ever wear Carroll orange.
drago
drago
Admin

http://www.cheeseathletics.com

Back to top Go down

Carroll's 08 preview----- Empty Re: Carroll's 08 preview-----

Post by Ollie Octagon Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:00 pm

There is no way they are as good as kim is saying. Is she ever going to post? Because she is overvaluing their talent. I saw Carroll play, they were heavily reliant on their sweeper, who, to my knowledge has graduated.

Their defense was nothing to be impressed with, all they had were forwards playing on the back line. Well, not forwards, forwards would actually be a threat to attack. Their right back was the only really good attacking defender, the other was just garbage.
Ollie Octagon
Ollie Octagon
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:49 am

I guess i have confidence they'll be good. Whenever you have a team that is this dominating on the wings you can win a lot of games just be creating more opportunities. You don't even need to have the stud forward you just need more opportunities.

I am not a fan of their central mids, Derek is an awesome player but he needs someone to play defense along side of him...Carlson does not play defense.
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwight Schrute Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:59 pm

Carroll will be solid this year even without JJ Guttman and Frederick Schneider. A birth in the Midwest Conference Tourny is a guarantee. The real test is how they perform against some of the best teams in Wisco, Minn and Ill in the likes of UW Oshkosh, UW Whitewater, St. Thomas, and Wheaton.
Dwight Schrute
Dwight Schrute
Semi-noobie

Back to top Go down

Post by BOMBER Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:26 pm

How dare the author call Dave Hansen slow!
BOMBER
BOMBER
Bright Future

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:56 pm

Dwight Schrute wrote:Carroll will be solid this year even without JJ Guttman and Frederick Schneider. A birth in the Midwest Conference Tourny is a guarantee. The real test is how they perform against some of the best teams in Wisco, Minn and Ill in the likes of UW Oshkosh, UW Whitewater, St. Thomas, and Wheaton.

i wouldn't call that a guarantee. teams like yours, virtually all offense, can crumble regardless of the competition. I don't want to see it, but i could see them dropping one to a Grinnell or Lawerance.

enough of those games might put you on the cusp of tournament play.
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cpschult Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:27 pm

drago wrote:
Dwight Schrute wrote:Carroll will be solid this year even without JJ Guttman and Frederick Schneider. A birth in the Midwest Conference Tourny is a guarantee. The real test is how they perform against some of the best teams in Wisco, Minn and Ill in the likes of UW Oshkosh, UW Whitewater, St. Thomas, and Wheaton.

i wouldn't call that a guarantee. teams like yours, virtually all offense, can crumble regardless of the competition. I don't want to see it, but i could see them dropping one to a Grinnell or Lawerance.

enough of those games might put you on the cusp of tournament play.

Unless someone steps it up on defense I think Carroll will have a problem. I think Bram can step into the middle and sweep..he's a solid, fast player with good balls control...and finding a hard working outside defender to replace him isn't a problem for Mobley. Their interior defense through the mid-field is the problem. They will still score goals with the wings that they have, but if teams are getting shots from 20-30 out, or even possessing the ball in that range, Carroll will have trouble.

I think Mobley's biggest concern this year is getting Derrek and Craig to buy into defensive mindedness. I've seen both of them play extremely hard and fast defense when they get angry or are playing against someone who they feel has considerable skill and speed.

I don't know if Mobley can figure out how to do this without alienating them as players.

Carroll has a lot to play up to this year.. It remains to be seen if they can.
cpschult
cpschult
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by Ollie Octagon Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:18 pm

The problem that I have seen with teams that find great success over a few year period, is that they get away with what got them there. I haven't seen a ton of Carroll games over the years but I'm guess they were more built on defense than anything else.

Looking at the report and what some of you are saying, they are now built on finess and do not enjoy the whole defensive side of the ball. Those types of teams can lose to anyone on any day.

It can make for a rough season to say the least.
Ollie Octagon
Ollie Octagon
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by snatch pops Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:26 pm

I think Jon Rodgers is going to take the starting roll with Andy P. Jon has been working really hard on his shooting and finishing. He has improved a lot and thinks he will impress people this year. As of the rest of the team I do not think Alex Goranson will be a starter this season though. He is fat and out of shape. He spends time drinking eating and going to brewer games. Look for a surprise in this position in the early season. Later in the season, when Mobley beats Alex into shape, Alex will then be the starter. He just needs a reality check. I think defense though is the weakest part of the Pios. They lost JJ but I do not believe Scott Pease will be any good. The only decent player is Bram but he needs to keep his mind on the game and not let his temper get to him.
snatch pops
snatch pops

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:14 am

If alex were in shape their outsides look dangerous...yet again...

I'd like to see bomber get some good minutes, too bad the kid is allergic to gaining weight. Laughing
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BOMBER Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:35 pm

Who was the only one to injure a kid at camp? Oh yeah...that was me.

Damn, I'm a ****ing badass.
BOMBER
BOMBER
Bright Future

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:51 pm

BOMBER wrote:Who was the only one to injure a kid at camp? Oh yeah...that was me.

Damn, I'm a ****ing badass.

good work bomber, that's great for repeat business.

hey, you have a club we can do a camp for in beaver dam next summer?
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BOMBER Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:41 pm

We don't have club soccer in Beaver Dam...which is why we are terrible.

However, I could get a good number of people to a camp.
BOMBER
BOMBER
Bright Future

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:46 pm

like i told fred last night...if you can get enough guys in your area, i'll come up and run the thing but just get paid like your employee and you can keep the money that you generate.

shoudln't be too tough to sell this now that we have done one. the site will be looking better and better once we get the prices on the camp page and the high school/college pages populated.

what do you think?
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cpschult Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:11 pm

It's going to be hard to do in area's with Colleges or where the Wave run camps. Should look for area's that aren't targeted by those organizations to get started.
cpschult
cpschult
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:30 pm

cpschult wrote:It's going to be hard to do in area's with Colleges or where the Wave run camps. Should look for area's that aren't targeted by those organizations to get started.

You can't shy away from an area just because there is competition. I'm looking at it as, we offer a great product at a smaller price. Just because we don't have name recogntion doesn't take from the fact that we have just as good, if not better coaches. Their coaches are just former Wave players or former great players. Personally i coudln't care less how good of a player you are, or were, i just want someone that connects with kids.

After a few summers of our camps they'll see that we are better coaches and that we run highly organized camps. So no, i/we are staying in the area and will someday be considered competition for the Wave, kickers and the rest of them.
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ollie Octagon Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:00 pm

drago wrote:I forgot to post this one...

I am interested to see how this team plays. I hope it isn't a case of having 'too much talent'.

Thanks Kim...
------------------------------
By: Kim Deal
Carroll College Season Preview
July 12, 2008

Carroll College...oh wait, my apologies, since the summer of 2008, “Carroll University” has been like a snow ball rolling down hill since 1999 when Rick Mobley took over the Men’s program. He has turned it from the conference laughing stock to a conference contender. He seems to be one of the few coaches who realizes what it takes to win at the Division III level: a solid defense with one very good sweeper back and a solid scorer or two, the rest does not need to be anything but role players and ball winners.

In 2007 he had the most well rounded team of his tenure, evident by their second place conference finish and NCAA tournament bid by winning the four team conference tournament. One of the greater qualities that Carroll possesses is that you cannot qualify the team as young or old. They have a solid mix of classes amongst their starters (one freshman, three sophomores, five juniors, and two seniors) and bench players.

Carroll is returning all but two starters from a year ago. The problem is one of those starters is the reigning Midwest Conference Player of the Year: JJ Gutman. The lone weak spot Carroll had in their 2007 campaign was their defensive marking.

Fortunately for them, they play in a conference that literally gives them three wins with an additional three wins that are barely worth breaking a sweat. When push came to shove only one or two teams in the conference could exploit Carroll’s weakness and even they had a hard time doing so. The two returning starters worth noting are Bram Daelemans and Nate Lembke-Windler; although neither player has a great work rate, both players are excellent in terms of ball control, evident by Daelemans’ eight assists last year.

The offensive attack is largely based on their outside midfielders. Carroll is a not a team that will score in a set offense, their goals tend to come strictly from counter attacks or from a scrum in the 18 yard area. They are proficient in their counter attacks because of their tremendous outside midfielders: Dona Lado and Alex Goranson. Both players hold records at Carroll for assists and are extremely fast up the sidelines. Goranson holds the school record in assists for a season (nine) and Lado holds the school record for assists in a career (twenty). Look for both players to change those records once again in 2008.

Their central midfield, although very weak on defense, makes up for their lack of drive with tremendous ball skills. Derek Marie is the class of this unit along with Craig Carlson; both players are great in the attack and rarely give up the ball. Of the multiple games that I watched, their weakness comes with having absolutely no desire to play defense at any point in the game.

There will be an interesting preseason battle for the forward position opposite, Andy Prentice. Having graduated Fred Schneider, the team will be looking for someone to step up in the role of “finisher” for the barrage of crosses coming from Goranson and Lado. It looks to me that it will be one of two players Jonathan Rogers or David Hansen. They are both going to be seniors and will itching to increase their limited playing time from the years prior. There does not appear to be a true benefit to selecting either player, Hansen tends to be more accurate but much slower in terms of sprinting. While Rogers is much faster, he also tends to play very erratic and may not be the finisher Mobley will be
looking for.

Given that Carroll plays in the Midwest Conference they are almost assured a tournament bid by just showing up to half of their games. It’s what they do in the other half of their games that will show whether or not this team, composed of virtually all offense, can be the best team to ever wear Carroll orange.

Besides your Wisconsin Lutheran blunder, I'd say this has to be the best Carroll team to wear Carroll orange.
Ollie Octagon
Ollie Octagon
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by Craigaldo Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:52 pm

drago, I just joined. How do I get a picture on my profile???
Craigaldo
Craigaldo
Resident Malcontent

http://www.geocities.com/graftonsoccer

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:06 pm

I think you just figured that out on your own. You got any more pictures I can use on the college main page?

BTW, do we have an opponent for wednesday yet?
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Craigaldo Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:28 pm

I got plenty of pictures....

and the selection show is on webcast at noon tomorrow live on the internet!!! go to www.ncaa.com
Craigaldo
Craigaldo
Resident Malcontent

http://www.geocities.com/graftonsoccer

Back to top Go down

Post by drago Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:24 am

I'll make sure to check that out. I hope we can get a home game out of all these big wins.
drago
drago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down