CA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» J10 cui bap
Carroll Homework - Anyone agree with this? EmptyTue May 01, 2012 7:28 am by Mrblack0301

» F35
Carroll Homework - Anyone agree with this? EmptyTue May 01, 2012 7:21 am by Mrblack0301

» Williams Sonoma - Up to 30% Off Entire Order
Carroll Homework - Anyone agree with this? EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 am by kichiki

» New Balance 1870 Women’s Walking Shoes
Carroll Homework - Anyone agree with this? EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 am by kichiki

» Crossover 2-Button Side Vent Plain Front Suit
Carroll Homework - Anyone agree with this? EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:07 am by kichiki

» The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
Carroll Homework - Anyone agree with this? EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:00 am by kichiki

» The Universe: The Mega Collection on Blu-ray
Carroll Homework - Anyone agree with this? EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:00 am by kichiki

» Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
Carroll Homework - Anyone agree with this? EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 4:59 am by kichiki

» Chessmaster Challenge for PC
Carroll Homework - Anyone agree with this? EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 3:05 am by kichiki

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Carroll Homework - Anyone agree with this?

2 posters

Go down

Carroll Homework - Anyone agree with this? Empty Carroll Homework - Anyone agree with this?

Post by carter Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:32 pm

I had to write about a personal case of "resistance" so I thought this was a pretty good example. I know ethan never had to try and got straight A's but for we mortals, I didn't try and got straight C's.

Ethan, your life will be mine some day. Just remember that.

My resistance has been to school in general. It has always rubbed me the wrong way, making me feel more like a prisoner than a student. Between the long days, forced attendance and constant instruction, middle school and high school always felt more like boot camp than places of learning.

Given my feeling of being trapped, I would in turn not put forth my best effort. If the schools told me I had to be there, I would be there but no one could convince me I had to try, after all, I was still getting B’s and C’s which kept my parents off my back.

Once I got into high school, I had a mild revelation. I was going to see what it was like actually putting forth an effort. I spent my sophomore year putting my best foot forward, making a conscience effort to study and complete my homework. Not only did I study for tests but I actually took the advice of my history teacher and studied for 15 minutes on what I learned in his class every day for the entire semester. He brought up the notion that it was much easier to study very little, very often, than studying for 2 or 3 hours the day before a test. By putting his theory into practice I was able to get much better grades and for the first time, accompanied my sister on the honor roll.

Although it felt reasonably good to get the better grades and the extra pat on the back from my parents, I still didn’t think the time and effort put forth was worth the extra kudos or higher grades. The following year I went back to my old ways of getting a 3.0, no better, no worse. I would attend class but sit in the back paying little attention to the subject matter.

I wish I could sit here and say that “If I had to do it all over, I would give it my best shot” but I don’t know that I would. It is far too easy to get by with B’s when A’s do not seem worth the extra effort. Clearly there are many contradictions in this way of thinking but as a student, it always made sense to do my own thing. It always gave me the feeling of “us against them” (“them” being faculty).
carter
carter
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Carroll Homework - Anyone agree with this? Empty Re: Carroll Homework - Anyone agree with this?

Post by RCBooba Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:31 pm

Did you want this edited, too? Cause there are a few things...:-P

It'd be nice if, somewhere, you could explain more about why you were not completely satisfied upon getting better grades after putting in the effort. You put in the extra effort and your grades went up...but you still were not satisfied? Was it a lack of the feeling of independence? Did it mentally and physically exhaust you where you felt it wasn't worth to break yourself down? Did you feel like you were just another statistic in the school system and/or you don't believe in the system itself? And if so, why?
RCBooba
RCBooba
Tormented Sole

Back to top Go down

Carroll Homework - Anyone agree with this? Empty Re: Carroll Homework - Anyone agree with this?

Post by carter Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:58 pm

I don't really know why i didn't think it was worth the time to put in the effort. Maybe it was that the recognition was the same and the hours put in was the only thing different. I always thought that was a square kick to the balls.

Why do really well when doing above average is just fine?
carter
carter
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by RCBooba Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:33 pm

I feel the same way, but yet I also believe in constant self-improvement. I guess I'm a walking contradiction. "Getting by" is livable, but then you get into the whole "what's the meaning of life?" question.
RCBooba
RCBooba
Tormented Sole

Back to top Go down

Post by carter Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:53 pm

I think the bigger contradiction is why you have to get degrees to self improve? Not calling you out, just saying that school is almost a lesser form of learning when it comes to countless subjects.

The subjectivity of it takes away from many forms of creativeness. IMO
carter
carter
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by RCBooba Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:51 pm

I think I know what you mean, but look at it this way: how many books have you read outside of school? How much have you actually learned? It's not so much that you need a school environment in order to learn, but it is a structured way of doing so. Being forced to learn something you have no interest in is awful, but if it's in a subject/area that you do enjoy than school is the most efficient way to learn that. Don't be a silly goose.
RCBooba
RCBooba
Tormented Sole

Back to top Go down

Post by carter Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:55 pm

You are right but it is all to a point. From what I have learned, I could have knocked 5 years off of wasted years in the classroom.

I don't pretend to have the answers to the more efficient classroom but with humans being such an "elite" speicies, you'd think they would come up with a better idea than "leave no idiots behind".

I mean seriously...why is the classroom based on communism and the real world capitalism?
carter
carter
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down