CA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» J10 cui bap
Matt Cassell Situation EmptyTue May 01, 2012 7:28 am by Mrblack0301

» F35
Matt Cassell Situation EmptyTue May 01, 2012 7:21 am by Mrblack0301

» Williams Sonoma - Up to 30% Off Entire Order
Matt Cassell Situation EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 am by kichiki

» New Balance 1870 Women’s Walking Shoes
Matt Cassell Situation EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 am by kichiki

» Crossover 2-Button Side Vent Plain Front Suit
Matt Cassell Situation EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:07 am by kichiki

» The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
Matt Cassell Situation EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:00 am by kichiki

» The Universe: The Mega Collection on Blu-ray
Matt Cassell Situation EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:00 am by kichiki

» Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
Matt Cassell Situation EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 4:59 am by kichiki

» Chessmaster Challenge for PC
Matt Cassell Situation EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 3:05 am by kichiki

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Matt Cassell Situation

3 posters

Go down

Matt Cassell Situation Empty Matt Cassell Situation

Post by carter Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:41 pm

Posted by Kleck73isgod

The Pats could seriously be screwing themselves by tagging Matt Cassell but Cassell's long term prospects could be seriously damaged by the move.

I know the intention is to trade him as the belief is that Brady will be ready to go by opening day. But are there really any serious trade possibilities out there?

There are only a handful of teams that are in the market for a QB this offseason, two of them, the Lions and Chiefs, will most likely be spending their top picks on QBs as they pick first and third respectively and will most likely grab Stafford and Sanchez.

All three of the Pats divisional rivals may be in the market for a QB, depending on whether or not Favre retires and how the Dolphins feel about Chad Henne, but does anybody think for a million years the Pats would trade him in the division? Or would the Bills, Jets or Dolphins be willing to give the Pats a first-round pick for that matter?

The rest of the league has incumbents or young QBs already being groomed.

In the AFC North, all four teams are set at QB with Palmer, Rothliesberger, Quinn and Flacco all in place.

In the AFC South, three of the four teams are set with Manning, Garrard and Young still viewed as the heir apparent with Collins most likely being the opening day starter. The Texans would seem like a possibility for Cassell but would they really being willing to give up the top pick after their experience with signing another hot backup recently in Matt Shaub?

In the AFC West, Denver has Cutler, San Diego has Rivers, Oakland loves Russell for some reason and the Chiefs will get either Stafford or Sanchez and have Tyler Thigpen to keep the seat warm for a year.

The same is true in the NFC.

In the NFC East, all four teams are set for now with Manning, Romo, McNabb and Washington loving Jason Campbell.

In the NFC North, the Vikings are love with Jackson, the Packers are willing to live or die with Rodgers, the Bears like Orton and are holding out hope they can snag McNabb as a FA in 2010 and the Lions have the number on overall pick.

In the NFC South, the Falcons are set with Ryan, the Panthers are set with Delhomme, the Saints are set with Brees and with Chucky gone in Tampa, expect Garcia to happily stay, although at 39 he will need to be replaced soon so Tampa may be the most likely landing spot in a trade for Cassell.

In the NFC West, the Seahawks have Hasselbeck, the Rams have Bulger, the Cards have Warner and his preseumed replacement in Leinart and the 49ers seem to be setting themselves up to make a run at Vick upon his return.

So if the Bucs aren't willing to spend a top pick on Cassell, who the hell would be? If the Pats can't trade him he will become the most expensive backup in history, counting some $15 million against the cap. They also leave themselves in a potential QB controversy if Brady has a Peyton Manning '08-like start to the '09 season.

But what about Cassell's longterm prospects? If he is tagged and doesn't get traded and Brady plays well, what is his value on the open market in 2010 after sitting on the bench for a year and a potentially great QB class in that year's draft with Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy, Tim Tebow and whoever else emerges over the course of the 2009 NCAA season?

While the Pats may be screwing themselves by tagging Cassell, they could be screwing Cassell even more.

I have to agree, not that many teams out there willing to cough up a big time pick for QB that had Moss, Welker and a big time running game behind him.
carter
carter
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Matt Cassell Situation Empty Re: Matt Cassell Situation

Post by Ollie Octagon Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:21 pm

Moss is a shell of his former self but still a big threat. You aren't going to tell me that Fitz and Boldin are the only reason the Warner has been playing so well are you?

Welker is a great player to have but he is only a little better than guys like Cherbet, Troy Brown, Dennis Northcut, Ricky Proehl. If you remember, the quaterbacks throwing to those four didn't have the kind of season that Cassell had in 2008, aside from Proehl.

Cassell is a good player and will garner a big time trade, unfortunate for you being that the Pats will use the pick to destroy the Jets and everyone else in the AFC East.
Ollie Octagon
Ollie Octagon
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by ethan Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:18 pm

Ollie Octagon wrote:Moss is a shell of his former self but still a big threat. You aren't going to tell me that Fitz and Boldin are the only reason the Warner has been playing so well are you?

Welker is a great player to have but he is only a little better than guys like Cherbet, Troy Brown, Dennis Northcut, Ricky Proehl. If you remember, the quaterbacks throwing to those four didn't have the kind of season that Cassell had in 2008, aside from Proehl.

Cassell is a good player and will garner a big time trade, unfortunate for you being that the Pats will use the pick to destroy the Jets and everyone else in the AFC East.

Who do you think will make a move for him? Looking at the draft board, my hunch is that those teams that need a QB already have one in mind or would be unwilling to pay the price that NE will expect. That's just a hunch, and the chances are that someone will pull the trigger for him, but who do you think it will be?

ethan
Bright Future

Back to top Go down

Post by carter Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:25 pm

I could see the Vikings doing it. No way they can still think Jackson is there man and I doubt they are going to wait around for their favorite lady, Favre, to come calling. Other than that, you're right that the Chiefs have a great draft slot as do the Rams and Seahawks.

Problem is, there are only two QB's that look to go top ten, Sanchez and Staford. I think Sanchez is going to be a complete and utter bust. He and Leintart are the same player, they both suck in the NFL.

I heard there is another guy, Davis? Don't remember but he is supposed to go late first anyway.

The Texans are the last team i'd look at trading for him but they already got burned on the trade with Atlanta that brought them next to nothing.

Should be interesting what happens with the Cheats and their "back-up" QB.
carter
carter
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by ethan Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:41 pm

I, and every outside observer, agrees with you that Jackson is not a starting QB, but it seems that the Vikings actually like him after his late season showing (albeit inflated by a bunch of patsy games and very low attempt numbers). They might be willing to hand him the job for another year.
I think Seattle will be wary of giving up much for Cassel considering their needs at other positions. I would bet that they choose to keep Hasselbeck and upgrade at other areas of need.
Who knows what Sanchez and Stafford will do in the pros, but front office types seem to love glamorous QB picks. I bet they're both gone by pick #3.
After further review, maybe Detroit trades their second first rounder for him? Use the #1 to take...something else?

ethan
Bright Future

Back to top Go down

Post by carter Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:20 pm

I don't know much about the Detroit GM but if i had the reigns out there, i'd do everything i my power to trade down and trade down often. Hell i'd swap a first for a first in 2010 and a second this year. They are not looking at a winning season next year, no need to draft a QB just to watch him run for his life. They need linemen on both sides of the ball.

Even if they take far less than Jimmy Johnson's stupid little trade chart deems worthy, they'd still be coming out ahead by NOT paying 50 million guaranteed to a college athlete that has never played a down in the NFL.

Detroit is the wild card, i am farely confident the 49ers will land Sanchez and Stafford will land with the Rams. We'll see, it's way to far in advance to accurately tell.

All i know is, i would really like Nicks from UNC or Crabtree to fall to 17 for the Jets to grab. Fat chance with Crabtree but a good shot at Nicks.
carter
carter
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down