CA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» J10 cui bap
Gwynn Jr traded to Padres EmptyTue May 01, 2012 7:28 am by Mrblack0301

» F35
Gwynn Jr traded to Padres EmptyTue May 01, 2012 7:21 am by Mrblack0301

» Williams Sonoma - Up to 30% Off Entire Order
Gwynn Jr traded to Padres EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 am by kichiki

» New Balance 1870 Women’s Walking Shoes
Gwynn Jr traded to Padres EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 am by kichiki

» Crossover 2-Button Side Vent Plain Front Suit
Gwynn Jr traded to Padres EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:07 am by kichiki

» The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
Gwynn Jr traded to Padres EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:00 am by kichiki

» The Universe: The Mega Collection on Blu-ray
Gwynn Jr traded to Padres EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:00 am by kichiki

» Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
Gwynn Jr traded to Padres EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 4:59 am by kichiki

» Chessmaster Challenge for PC
Gwynn Jr traded to Padres EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 3:05 am by kichiki

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Gwynn Jr traded to Padres

3 posters

Go down

Gwynn Jr traded to Padres Empty Gwynn Jr traded to Padres

Post by carter Fri May 22, 2009 3:51 pm

Padres deal Gerut for Gwynn Jr.
Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services

Tony Gwynn's son is going to get the chance to wear a San Diego Padres uniform just like his Hall of Fame father.

The Padres acquired outfielder Tony Gwynn Jr. from the Milwaukee Brewers on Thursday in exchange for outfielder Jody Gerut.

Gwynn Jr. got the news of the trade in a call from his father, who played for the Padres for 20 seasons and is now San Diego State's baseball coach.

"Dad's thrilled," the senior Gwynn told The Associated Press by phone from Fort Worth, Texas, where he's coaching the San Diego State Aztecs in the Mountain West Conference baseball tournament. "This is like a bolt out of the sky. You just didn't expect that. I'm thrilled, just happy he's going to get an opportunity and I think he feels the same way."

Gwynn Jr. played parts of three seasons in the majors.

He made his debut in the ninth inning of the Padres' 3-2 victory, walking as a pinch hitter. Gwynn Jr. scored the winning run on Scott Hairston's bases-loaded single off Brian Wilson.

Gwynn Jr. wore No. 18. His father's No. 19 is retired.

"I'm glad to be back," said Gwynn Jr., who grew up running around the Padres' clubhouse. "It still hasn't really kicked in yet. But my nerves were actually pretty good being up at the plate in the ninth inning."

Tony Gwynn said he had just returned from taking his Aztecs out for some early batting practice when he got a call from his wife, Alicia, that the trade was coming down. He called his brother, Chris, and then Tony Jr.

"I called Anthony because we weren't sure he knew," said Gwynn, who still calls his son by his given name. "I called him and broke the news to him and he was thrilled."

Gwynn Jr., 26, is hitting .309 for the Brewers' Triple-A affiliate in Nashville. In 2007, he helped to keep the Padres out of the playoffs with a game-tying triple off then-San Diego closer Trevor Hoffman that tied a game in which the the Brewers eventually won. Hoffman now pitches for the Brewers.

Gerut, 31, is batting .227 with four home runs and 14 RBIs. He enjoyed a fine 2008 season, hitting .296 with 14 home runs and 43 RBIs in 328 at-bats.
carter
carter
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Gwynn Jr traded to Padres Empty Re: Gwynn Jr traded to Padres

Post by Ollie Octagon Sat May 23, 2009 11:35 am

Part of me thinks he was overrated, the other part thinks the Brewers gave up a solid player for a 31 year old with one decent season in the majors.
Ollie Octagon
Ollie Octagon
Quantity over Quality

Back to top Go down

Post by Plaintiff93 Mon May 25, 2009 5:11 pm

im surprised this isnt bigger news

gwynn as a good player for us last year and i think we could really use him right now with th einjuries and all

has he been doing well so far?
Plaintiff93
Plaintiff93
Resident Malcontent

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down